Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: sturgeon take down and a miss

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman707 View Post
    For years I was told the bite is so soft, u really have to watch for it. For years I never caught one. Then I got some advise from a guy and when I finally got into them, they bite as hard as sharks. Full takedowns, pulling drag. I missed the first few on the hookset not letting them eat it enough. Got my keeper and haven't fished them again since....lol. I had to drive a couple hours to Martinez and now im, further away on the coast.

Do you guys let them take it before whacking them, or do u hit them while biting?
    Every situation is different but for the most part I swing on everything. Swings are free.

But it’s situational for sure. Many of times I have got slow pump or tap and I picked up the pole and played out the bite. Just depends.....Experience helps for sure. Also can depend on water temps and tide.

A cold water temp with a strong tide you will have a short bite window. A lot of one and done.

They are lazy fish and won’t exert more energy then needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman707 View Post
    For years I was told the bite is so soft, u really have to watch for it. For years I never caught one. Then I got some advise from a guy and when I finally got into them, they bite as hard as sharks. Full takedowns, pulling drag. I missed the first few on the hookset not letting them eat it enough. Got my keeper and haven't fished them again since....lol. I had to drive a couple hours to Martinez and now im, further away on the coast.

Do you guys let them take it before whacking them, or do u hit them while biting?

My opinion is it depends of where and when. Fish in the bay and delta tend to graze. They normally have a decent food base so they can be a bit picky. Most folks feel setting the hook catches more fish than waiting them out. Colder water tends to make them less aggressive. Idea being if they have it in their mouth, you’ve got a shot. Setting the hook, or leaving it the holder and cranking down on them is trying to do the same thing.

Growing up fishing higher in the river during spawning season we seemed to have better luck hooking fish letting them take it and run. Might have had something to do with less food and hungry fish, or that most of it was done at night and there was less attention.

Some places up on the Columbia and Frazier the fish are aggressive enough they use circle hooks and have to wait them out.

One other factor I think plays a role. Not all pumps are sturgeon with a hook in their mouth. Crabs, crawdads, baby stripers, squawfish, catfish and a dozen other non-sturgeon critters like sturgeon bait. Even sturgeon rubbing the line swimming past can look like bites/pumps at times. A lot of times you can tell the difference but I guarantee not always. Don’t get frustrated if you’re missing fish. They may not all be what you think.

One last thought. It’s a lifetime experience to get up to pull a bait away from some garbage bite and have the rod try to leave the boat. My opinion is when in doubt, swing for the fences.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 01-31-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo13 View Post
    Sturgeons have that baby nibble. You have to be on point with that hook up.

No Joke on that one... but i am really good at catching stripers and Pike while sturgeon fishing.... grrrrrrrrr

Post Thanks / Like

Just outside of Pittsburg marina... eel and ghost

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAPILOT View Post
    three huge pumps and poof... rookie move not being on top of that rod... was jacking around on my phone.... rule number one no texting while fishing... lol...
    Always happen when you are doing something else than looking at your fishing rod.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to sturgeon , any info would help.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s just part of the game. Happens to everyone. Drives you nuts that you miss one, but does tell you you’re doing something right.

Ive taken to using smaller lighter hooks. I want the sharpest easiest to penetrate hook point I can get. I’ve caught quite a few sturgeon while striper fishing using lighter wire hooks. There are obviously limits to how light you can go, but I think it helps.

Sorry about missing the fish, but it will make the next one all that much better.

9. Likes DELTAPILOT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sturgeons have that baby nibble. You have to be on point with that hook up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAPILOT View Post
    three huge pumps and poof... rookie move not being on top of that rod... was jacking around on my phone.... rule number one no texting while fishing... lol...
    I have not caught a sturgeon yet . I am going to the delta next week to try to catch one. I have to ask, where were fishing? And what kind of bait

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast