Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Pyramid shore recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    follow the rules, also use your speed cruise control because the tribal guys are no joke and yes it is a Tribal lake.......Jetspray

What..... Me speed ?? !!

Very true, this is a "Special place" and it is nice if you leave no tracks.

However if you are a long time fisherman and have been coming for over 50 years to this fishery
    you will know the "Officers" by their first names and even get to joke and be friends with them.

I remember one noon day a well known, younger "Officer" greeted me at the South Nets and asked me how fishing was.
    I handed him my rod, walked out into the water a little ways and pulled up and on a fish chain that was in the lake.
    At the end was a very large trout that he did not even notice.
    "Holly (what ever) that thing is huge " It sort of made his day.
    We laughed and talked a little and he told me how the other fishermen were doing.

They have a tough job and I thank each of them for their time and effort to keep this lake a #1 trophy lake.

The trout are getting BIGGER, fighting HARDER and tasting even BETTER from my smoker !!
    Ed I always love your stories, hope to see you this year again my friend...…...Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pyramid shore recommendation

follow the rules, also use your speed cruise control because the tribal guys are no joke and yes it is a Tribal lake.......Jetspray

What..... Me speed ?? !!

Very true, this is a "Special place" and it is nice if you leave no tracks.

However if you are a long time fisherman and have been coming for over 50 years to this fishery
    you will know the "Officers" by their first names and even get to joke and be friends with them.

I remember one noon day a well known, younger "Officer" greeted me at the South Nets and asked me how fishing was.
    I handed him my rod, walked out into the water a little ways and pulled up and on a fish chain that was in the lake.
    At the end was a very large trout that he did not even notice.
    "Holly (what ever) that thing is huge " It sort of made his day.
    We laughed and talked a little and he told me how the other fishermen were doing.

They have a tough job and I thank each of them for their time and effort to keep this lake a #1 trophy lake.

The trout are getting BIGGER, fighting HARDER and tasting even BETTER from my smoker !!

3. Likes Captain Compassion, Jetspray, MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Number one is you must get a Pyramid Lake permit to fish no Nevada lic required (follow the rules for barbless and sizes even on fly gear), also if you want to camp you must get a camping permit. These can be purchased online or at Crosby's Lodge (under new management). If you have 4 wheel drive there are all sorts of places to fish on the west side. I would work from the northern most point and then work my way south. There are signs along the highway to direct you to all of the places mentioned. Remeber to respect the outdoors and follow the rules, also use your speed cruise control because the tribal guys are no joke and yes it is a Tribal lake.......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

5. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ppickerell View Post
    I like the deeper dropoffs at Blockhouse.
    In the late fall and winter months more large trout come from Blockhouse than any other Pyramid shore location. There is a large drop-off to a sandy bottom. Spoons, Floating stick baits or Flat fish behind a 1 oz banana sinker. Jigs.

CC

Last edited by Captain Compassion; 01-22-2020 at 07:46 PM.
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

7. Likes Stickman, Jetspray, muledeer12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all. I’ll stay clear of the east side. Plenty of exploring to be done on the west side.

I am convinced the key to enjoying fishing is realistic expectations. No one kills it every trip. A little confidence in knowing what you’re doing will work eventually keeps things focused, and having a goal of getting that one good bite can make for a very enjoyable day. Also makes those great days all the more special.

Thanks for the help.

9. Likes Stickman, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last I heard, was that the road on the south-east of the lake above Dago Bay was off limits and closed to access
    to protect "Mother Nature" from further harm.

Many think that a lure that will cast "Way out there" is the way to go, when shore fishing.
    Yes they do catch fish and sometimes on the first ten feet of sink..............
    However a light 1/8 oz. lure on just 4 lb test line from a light spinning rod can also beach twelve pound monsters.

Each season is a new outing with the water and wave action changing the drop-offs and shore lines of the lake each month, with the changing weather along with water temps, clarity, food and time of day.
    It is really a crap shoot most of the time if you will get into fish, since most of them are "Crouser's" from a single to a group as big as a dozen or more, looking for a snack.

The thing needed most is a sharp single or treble barbless hook in good shape and not rusted or weak from last years waters, along with quality line and a good knot to slide through unnicked/cracked rod guides to up the odds of landing a fish.

Sometimes you might get skunked and on other days you might get into 20-30 fish or more from shore.....
    but we all KNOW that it only takes......"just One Cast to make your day", as I tell everyone, to meet "Bubba".
    Good luck.

PS;
    Some of us are in good enough shape to leave the boat home and get out in a "Tube"
    but you GOT to know your limitations !!

Shore is 150% safer to reach old age.
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 01-23-2020 at 04:47 PM.

11. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Thanks for the help. That's what I was looking for.

One other question. Is it legal to drive the roads and fish the east side of the lake? I've seen folks fishing the bank in several spots north of the Pyramid, but I know there are some sensitive cultural sites. I really enjoy tromping around interesting county haven't explored before, but want to be respectful.

Thanks again for the help.

Nope. Popcorn north to Wizards Cove I think it is. Possible tribe members you saw?
    Catch ya later ... hooks

13. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help. That's what I was looking for.

One other question. Is it legal to drive the roads and fish the east side of the lake? I've seen folks fishing the bank in several spots north of the Pyramid, but I know there are some sensitive cultural sites. I really enjoy tromping around interesting county haven't explored before, but want to be respectful.

Thanks again for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the deeper dropoffs at Blockhouse.

16. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any spoons you troll with will catch fish cast from shore.

1/4oz. or 3/8oz. Jigs work well also.

Rapala or other lures used with a weight will catch fish also.

Spoons and other lures used in areas with weeds and slimy crap on bottom.

Jigs in areas with clean sandy bottoms. Erratic jerks off the bottom.

Fish areas with deeper water close to shore like Blockhouse or Spider Point.

Ladder fishing or wading out into the water in shallower areas like the nets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Catch ya later ... hooks

18. Likes Stickman, Captain Compassion liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast