Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on Trolling Motor Battery

Depending the charger that might be your problem. Before I had a smart Charger I cooked several trolling motor batteries. Ended up plugging the charger in to a timer with only an off tab. Set it for 8-10 hours and would be a one time charge. I don’t live where it freezes but my trolling motor batts get charged when I come home and they seem to be close to fully charged when I go out the next time. The main batteries in the boat use to go dead, but I found out the ACR battery combiner has a 15 milliamperes draw when just sitting there. So put a switch in the ground line and no dead battery now. But I figure maybe 3 years out of a battery because of the bouncing they go through.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Question on Trolling Motor Battery

I have two batteries on my boat, one for backup and use with the marine radio only, and the other is my main battery. I have had issues with them since I bought the boat in 2003. I went away from any battery that was not an AGM or that type of closed system, mainly because I keep a trickle charger going (one for each battery) every time I bring the boat home and cover it up. Because of the freezing conditions, weather, age of battery, and heat/wind, it all affects batteries. Today I will probably have to change out both of those batteries before I go out again. Batteries are much cheaper than the embarrassment of being stuck on the water and waiving for help, and yes I have towed other boats to a launch for that reason and others. Take care and I really got a kick out of reading everyone's posts on this subject...…..Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

3. Likes Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love my group 31 Optima blue tops. Nothing I've tried comes close.

5. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In 2008 I installed a deep cycle AGM battery in my boat, its still going strong today nearing a 12yr span but at that age now I expect it to start fizzling down. Lead acids have been the go to for a lot boaters but their lifespan is on the average 3-4yrs. The price of all batteries is expensive today but lead acids are still the cheaper. AGM's are a little more pricey than lead acids and the price of 2 lead acids you can replace it with an AGM. I also seen the sales of the lithium iron phosphate battery at our ISE in Salt Lake City last year and felt I didn't need to spend that much on a battery. AGM is maintenance free and no worry if its mounted on its side. Have a second battery that is in my boat is also a lead acid but will be replaced with another AGM. After talking with a lot of the boaters here the AGM is making a big impact in more recent years but there are those who find the lead acid affordable for them. When any battery is taken care of properly you can get longevity from it with some more than others. Just my thoughts!!!
    2000 SuperDuty F250 Diesel
    2007 Columbia Fisherman 2018XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 Kicker Raymarine Element HV9 4 Electric Walker Downriggers

7. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the helpful input. I have a 12V trolling motor paired with a fully dedicated deep cycle trolling motor, so don't think there would be value in adding a second battery and I failed to mention that it is a maintenance free battery.

I learned that it has pro-rata warranty coverage still so I am going to take it over to the dealer and see what they think. The other option I think that may be worth a try is what Tracker DV17 suggested about using the onboard charger.

On a related note I was at the ISE show and they were pitching lithium iron phosphate batteries that would supposedly last much longer than the lead type batteries for a mere $863 a pop. I can buy and replace a lot of batteries for that amount.

However, for those using 36V motors/batteries the math may not be that bad and there would be a significant drop in weight.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

9. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your just running one battery? I'd check the battery and get a hydrometer and check each cell. You should get more than two hours on a battery even if your running the trolling motor hard it hard.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

11. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Check the voltage when the charger says full charge and if around 10.5volts it will indicate you have a bad cell.

13. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Check the battery's water level.

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

15. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try unplugging the onboard charger and plugging it back in the night before you're going out and see if that helps.

This will force the onboard charger into a full charge mode instead of the maintenance mode.

I found a Pro Mariner YouTube video where the representative said to do that at least once a month.

Stated it would also help prevent the plates from clogging up. (Can't remember the scientific terminology). Lol

Mike

17. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on Trolling Motor Battery

I have a 12V, 27 series deep cycle battery for my Minn Kota trolling motor with an onboard charger that is about 1 1/2 years old.

According to the onboard charger it is getting fully charged, but according to the motor itself that is not happening and I am now able to get just about 2 hours use out on the water.

Is this pretty normal? If new battery is needed, any particular recommendations?

i appreciate any insight that can be provided.

19. Likes Jetspray liked this post