Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone know of any lakes that might have a sturgeon or two swimming around?

There are or use to be a few swimming in San Pablo reservoir. Been a couple years since I heard of one caught. Think they were planted by the concessioner.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO unless a member here has personally caught one, hooking onto a Sturgeon in the local lakes is wishful thinking.
    Will always hear about a friend of a friend but never one's self .

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MKE View Post
    In my younger wilder days when I would frequently go to the bars after work. I was talking to a drunken angler at a bar up here on South Lake and he told me in a slurried sentence that him and his buddies hooked into one. I asked if they saw it and he said no there was no chance to land it and after a lengthy fight it popped off and there was a scale the size of a silver dollar on the straighten hook. That's been the rumor around town for the last 25 years or more.

If there was sturgeon in Lake Tahoe( and I'm pretty sure there's not) I don't think it would ever get landed because of the light lines we use to catch fish up here.
    Scale? Not from any sturgeon I have seen. Maybe a giant lake trout, or carp. I remember as a kid in the early 1950’s seeing sturgeon around Shasta dam from the top. One of the hatchery up there had a captive sturgeon that was rescued from a Pitt River stranding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seebass View Post
    Shasta and lake Tahoe.
    ? Interesting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MKE View Post
    In my younger wilder days when I would frequently go to the bars after work. I was talking to a drunken angler at a bar up here on South Lake and he told me in a slurried sentence that him and his buddies hooked into one. I asked if they saw it and he said no there was no chance to land it and after a lengthy fight it popped off and there was a scale the size of a silver dollar on the straighten hook. That's been the rumor around town for the last 25 years or more.

If there was sturgeon in Lake Tahoe( and I'm pretty sure there's not) I don't think it would ever get landed because of the light lines we use to catch fish up here.
    Sturgeon don’t have “scales”. Maybe it was a Tarpon!

6. Likes MKE, kickinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seebass View Post
    Shasta and lake Tahoe.
    Tahoe??????

Drunk guy in the bar gets around.

9. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shasta and lake Tahoe.

Post Thanks / Like

There are sturgeon in Lake Chabot. Only been a few caught since the lake opened in the ‘60’s.

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of like Sasquatch. One drunk guy in a bar says he caught one, and all the sudden 15 people remember being there. Actually saw one example first hand as a kid. A couple guys caught a nice striper in the river and brought it back to the local bait shop and joked they’d caught it in Lake Oroville. The story circled around town for years. One of those guys was my uncle.

I’ll believe it when I see it, in person, the second time.

I do recall articles about sturgeon being planted in several Bay Area lakes. Del Valle and Los Vaqueros come to mind, but that could be wrong.

As for sturgeon living in lakes trapped when the dams were built, I’ve only seen one credible report (picture) from Shasta. Heard hundreds of stories, but I’m not buying most of them. They normally include some odd detail too. Like “choking on a catfish” or “ripped the reel clean off the rod”. A symptom of human drama more than reality in my opinion.

I’d spend my time fishing the bays, sloughs and delta for a sturgeon. But I’m always up for a good fish story at the bar.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 02-18-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast