Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folsom 1/26/20

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Folsom 1/26/20

Quote Originally Posted by sprig1 View Post
    I've had similar experiences motoring along with the sonar on and seeing parallel lines suddenly appear on the locator rising at an angle. I tried to figure it out over the years and came to the same conclusion as stated previously by others that it's bubbles rising to the surface. I'm not sure about the "springs are doing it theory" because I've seen a few springs from tiny to huge and none of them had any gases being ejected while the water poured out of the ground except for very hot springs in the desert. If it was an indicator of springs however, that would be very helpful especially in the heat of summer or cold of winter.
    Personally, I think it's actually methane bubbles rising from decomposing organic material that has fallen to the bottom. It can be distracting but not particularly informative. Maybe there's a weed bed down there but that would show up on the locator if it was something that attracted fish. I have no feeling about if fish are attracted or repelled by bubbles. Maybe they tickle.
    You could be dead on about Methane vs. Springs, I guess we need to bring along our BBQ lighter and strike up a few. Also, we can agree that they are some sort of gas. For sure the marks are not fish. Whalonem

Post Thanks / Like

I've had similar experiences motoring along with the sonar on and seeing parallel lines suddenly appear on the locator rising at an angle. I tried to figure it out over the years and came to the same conclusion as stated previously by others that it's bubbles rising to the surface. I'm not sure about the "springs are doing it theory" because I've seen a few springs from tiny to huge and none of them had any gases being ejected while the water poured out of the ground except for very hot springs in the desert. If it was an indicator of springs however, that would be very helpful especially in the heat of summer or cold of winter.
    Personally, I think it's actually methane bubbles rising from decomposing organic material that has fallen to the bottom. It can be distracting but not particularly informative. Maybe there's a weed bed down there but that would show up on the locator if it was something that attracted fish. I have no feeling about if fish are attracted or repelled by bubbles. Maybe they tickle.
    Last edited by sprig1; 02-03-2020 at 09:54 AM.

3. Likes Cal1319 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whalonem View Post
    The reason I believe that many of the straight up verticle echos (a series of marks stacked one above the other) are bubbles is I've positioned my boat directly over springs and have noted bubbles coming to the surface. I've also been in areas of current and rarely note my screen with that concentration of marks, I never note this conditions in the Sacramento or Feather river with moving current. Now some of the angled marks at Folsom most likely are current echos. If you want to test my theory, on a clam day go back into New York Creek and note the surface bubbled along the west bank half way back, get over them and turn on your sonar, the screen will almost turn black, ARE BUBBLES. Just my thoughts without factual data. One thing I do know is that they normally don't bite!!!!! Whalonem
    What you've described has been my experience as well. Besides Folsom (from my experience) has shown me a white screen many, many times in the past but it's just too close to home not to keep trying and I've gotten used to fishing rather than catching while there. An enigma of a reservoir.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I believe that many of the straight up verticle echos (a series of marks stacked one above the other) are bubbles is I've positioned my boat directly over springs and have noted bubbles coming to the surface. I've also been in areas of current and rarely note my screen with that concentration of marks, I never note this conditions in the Sacramento or Feather river with moving current. Now some of the angled marks at Folsom most likely are current echos. If you want to test my theory, on a clam day go back into New York Creek and note the surface bubbled along the west bank half way back, get over them and turn on your sonar, the screen will almost turn black, ARE BUBBLES. Just my thoughts without factual data. One thing I do know is that they normally don't bite!!!!! Whalonem
    Last edited by whalonem; 02-02-2020 at 12:40 PM.

6. Likes Folsomtroller22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Folsomtroller22 View Post
    I appreciate the information provided. Time to do some tweaking.

Agreed! Thanks for the information, Im still very new to boat fishing and using a finder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    I get a lot of marks whenever the lake is windy or like yesterday near incoming water. I know most of the marks are not fish but just some debris or air in the water. Oroville and Englebright also have areas with springs that will show up as fish arches and it can be confusing.
    For my Lowrance Elite I keep my settings around 75% on the sensitivity scale as long as the water is very clear. As the water gets muddy I will back it down to as low as 65% to avoid some of the clutter. I still get a lot of false readings, I just get a few less as the sensitivity is lowered. Yesterday I backed off to around 70% to minimize the false readings. Most of the bass guys will turn the sensitivity up slowly until they get a lot of static on the screen then back it off a little. I typically do the same thing but find that in different areas of a lake the settings sometimes need to be adjusted to that location.
    My down imaging will show a little less of the false readings but it still shows some.
    My old black and white unit isn't as sensitive so it doesn't show as many false readings.

By the way I used to watch a lot of videos or read reports where others were showing their screen shots and sometimes I could read their settings. Whalonem was one of the guys that used to show screenshots and occasionally I could read his settings. That gave me a starting point.
    I appreciate the information provided. Time to do some tweaking.

Post Thanks / Like

I get a lot of marks whenever the lake is windy or like yesterday near incoming water. I know most of the marks are not fish but just some debris or air in the water. Oroville and Englebright also have areas with springs that will show up as fish arches and it can be confusing.
    For my Lowrance Elite I keep my settings around 75% on the sensitivity scale as long as the water is very clear. As the water gets muddy I will back it down to as low as 65% to avoid some of the clutter. I still get a lot of false readings, I just get a few less as the sensitivity is lowered. Yesterday I backed off to around 70% to minimize the false readings. Most of the bass guys will turn the sensitivity up slowly until they get a lot of static on the screen then back it off a little. I typically do the same thing but find that in different areas of a lake the settings sometimes need to be adjusted to that location.
    My down imaging will show a little less of the false readings but it still shows some.
    My old black and white unit isn't as sensitive so it doesn't show as many false readings.

By the way I used to watch a lot of videos or read reports where others were showing their screen shots and sometimes I could read their settings. Whalonem was one of the guys that used to show screenshots and occasionally I could read his settings. That gave me a starting point.

10. Likes Folsomtroller22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnglingWes View Post
    You can turn down the sensitivity to clear some of the false returns. You can also change the frequency of the transducer to a narrower cone. (80kHz instead of 450kHz).

Turbulence on sonars is not a new thing. You see it often on the surface. That’s what all of the clutter is on the top 2-3 feet of the screen. Pay attention to how it changes with wind chop on the water. You will see it change color (intensity) and depth as the wind increases.

Most new units filter it fairly well, but Folsom has some highly turbulent water in specific areas. There can be fish in those areas at times, but you can’t rely on anything you mark.
    Thanks for your help. Looks like I'd better get the owner's manual for my Lowrance and figure out some adjustments. Good to know the markings are not fish because you can't catch what's not there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Folsomtroller22 View Post
    I've seen the same image on my screen at Folsom and never thought it was some sort of "turbulence". That would make sense why we never caught fish while moving through such massive marks. How did you come to that conclusion? And is there a way to filter/adjust the sonar to ignore this issue? Very curious about this situation.
    You can turn down the sensitivity to clear some of the false returns. You can also change the frequency of the transducer to a narrower cone. (80kHz instead of 450kHz).

Turbulence on sonars is not a new thing. You see it often on the surface. That’s what all of the clutter is on the top 2-3 feet of the screen. Pay attention to how it changes with wind chop on the water. You will see it change color (intensity) and depth as the wind increases.

Most new units filter it fairly well, but Folsom has some highly turbulent water in specific areas. There can be fish in those areas at times, but you can’t rely on anything you mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnglingWes View Post
    Those marks are actually turbulence in the water column caused by natural springs. There are numerous springs in front of NY Cove and South of Anderson Island. You can mark them all year, but they are most prominent when water temps are low.
    I've seen the same image on my screen at Folsom and never thought it was some sort of "turbulence". That would make sense why we never caught fish while moving through such massive marks. How did you come to that conclusion? And is there a way to filter/adjust the sonar to ignore this issue? Very curious about this situation.

14. Likes Cal1319 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast