Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-spawn Pigs 2/13

Quote Originally Posted by dsa2780 View Post
    Solid patterning. Any stripes get into your slough?
    Yes. Anything small enough to survive the trip through the siphon makes its way into canals and sloughs in the delta. I haven’t caught one this year yet but they are there and have been caught over 20# in years past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome report!! Thanks for the detailed rigging info.

Post Thanks / Like

Solid patterning. Any stripes get into your slough?

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a dream day. Wow! You’re very fortunate to have access to that! Thanks for sharing! More pics of the area or types of cover would be interesting!

Post Thanks / Like

Pre-spawn Pigs 2/13

The recent stretch of mild days got me thinking that the big girls might be putting on the feed in anticipation of a spawn on the next full moon.

I have the great fortune to occasionally have access to a very healthy cut-off slough in the delta. Since it’s fed by a constant flow from a siphon, it emulates water conditions of the delta, minus fishing pressure.

52* by noon, 2’ visibility, high skies and light winds.

Swinging for a PB limit, I brought a couple bags of 6” and 7” senkos, a 0 and a 5 ROF Hudd, a couple Ospreys and an A rig with 4” Powerbait swimbaits.

I wolfed down a quick sandwich and started hurling the hudd and osprey for a half hour for 2 short bumps where the fish would come up behind and knock just a hint of slack in the line, but no hookups.

Worked back through the same 200 yard stretch with the A rig, and it’s like a light switch flipped on. 2’-4’ deep, the first 2 fish just loaded up the rod like a snag before I could make 2 cranks on the reel. Fat 18”-19”, solid 4# girls that would be the models for the day.

For the next half hour, it was a fish on every 2nd or 3rd cast ranging from 14” to 21”. Increasingly aggressive, in many cases with 2 of the swimbaits hooked deep in their mouth at the same time, but no multiple hookups in the same cast.

The fish were ganged up, staging in small sections off of likely spawning areas.

Pausing to straighten my mangled A rig, I was amazed to realize that I had caught more than a dozen fish from 2.5# - 5.5# in the same 3 baits. Tip #1 - take the time to glue the swimbaits securely on the jig heads.

After prospecting a few new stretches, I decided to give my shoulder a rest and swap the A rig for a flippin stick, 6” Cinnamon Purple Black Senko, 20# Big Game and a 4/0 owner EWG

Again the fish were ganged up in a few hard bottomed and rocky areas. Most of the fish took the senko on the initial drop, both Texas and wacky rigged. Even with the senko rigged wacky with an O-ring, those fish made quick work of 2 bags of Gary Yamamoto’s finest (#221).

By 3 pm, my thumb and shoulder were done. No monsters, but two fish measured between 24”-25”, pushing 8lbs and a handful in the 20”-21” range in addition to a bunch of solid, healthy 3lbers. Not quite a PB limit, but maybe a 32# bag.

Thanks for indulging me with a bit of a brag post from a fantasy slough, but the take away message is that it’s not too early for pre-spawn pigs. With the current stretch of mild days you can put down the dropshots and finesse worms and start to change the mindset from hoping for a bite, to hoping for a pig.

All but one of my biggest bags, and big fish up to 11.5#, have come from the Central and North Delta or Clear Lake in February or March on these kinds of warm, stable stretches of late winter weather.
    Last edited by Seaohh; 02-17-2020 at 08:21 AM.

6. Likes Paintguy, dsa2780 liked this post