Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Roller vs Bunk for EZ Loader Trailer

I've had my current boat and trailer for close to a year now and this one is the first I've used with rollers, all other boats I've had before have had carpeted bunks. I didn't really like the idea of rollers at first but after a while they kinda grew on me. The boat is easy to launch and loads to a perfect center everytime. Only thing is I ALWAYS keep the bow strap and chain hooked up until it's time to let it go in the water. Otherwise you will lose the boat out the back and off the trailer. What a mess that would be. Another thing I am thinking I'll like as well, is the life of them. I don't believe a wooden carpeted bunks will last as long as the rollers, but then again who knows? Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

On a small aluminum boat, would never use rollers. Too much chance of denting the bottom. My trailer for my 14’ Valco had one keel roller. Did not realize the roller bracket had collapsed a little. Cracked the bottom where the bunk ended at the front. Was a pressure point. You can get scrap UHMW from Tap Plastics I understand. Just drill and countersink the screw holes and screw a couple pieces to the bunks. My jet sled has an aluminum trailer and the bunks have sections of UHMW and the boat slides easy on the bunks. Boat is about 3400#. Also do not use treated lumber on the bunks. Get cedar. The copper in the bunk can react with the aluminum and make water entry holes in the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought roller setups were for those who couldn’t get the trailer down a ramp all the way. Say a short ramp or launching from a place where there were no ramps.

I have bunks with 2 foot sections of plastic on the carpeted bunk. They are spaced with 1 foot gaps. I can still crank the trailer up to the eye if it doesn’t get set on the trailer right after I get up to the parking lot.

ive seen a boat slide off a all plastic covered bunk trailer. So I don’t disconnect the safety chain til the trailer tire hits the water.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

Post Thanks / Like

To all of you I say a B I G! thank you for an enormous reply. I had no idea I would this much outstanding advice!

I do have carpeted 4' long side bunks. Launching and retrieving at the West Sacramento ramp proved to me that they work very well in the current. After reading all of these replies 2 and some 3 times I have decided to keep the carpeted bunks. They are like new since the boat got very little use before I bought it and not enough use since!

I have thought about the plastic slicks over the carpet. That looks like a good compromise.

OYD, could you shoot me PM or something on the trailer tongue extension. All I seem to be able to find is a Yakima thingy for kayaks/canoes and a 2" to 2 1/2" reducer. It would be appreciated.

Again all. THANK YOU.

Just George

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RideNfish View Post
    What works great, last all year if not two, and isn't to slick is silicone spray lubricant. Launch your boat and spray the bunks down with this stuff. Let it dry on the bunks while you fish all day. We did this after reading this tip on my friends boat. My trailer is a Rogue and came with composite bunks so doesn't apply to me.
    Still might want to look yo the MSDS on it to see if it affects the water ways. Silicone spray has additives in it to allow flow...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    The OP only has a 14 footer so side board really aren’t needed. Just back the trailer deep enough to reach the Eye bolt, hook the strap then crank a couple of turns. If the boat needs adjusting then grab the transom and bounce it in place.
    Uh oh, we may be starting the great side bunk debate, Haha.

I believe having them for a small light boat makes things a lot easier. Any wind and the boat can be sideways before you can pull it out of the water. Side bunks/guides eliminate that. With guide on posts another potential benefit with small trailers is you can see the posts over the truck box. Can be useful when backing an empty trailer.

7. Likes OYD, Jetspray, Seon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RideNfish View Post
    What works great, last all year if not two, and isn't to slick is silicone spray lubricant. Launch your boat and spray the bunks down with this stuff. Let it dry on the bunks while you fish all day. We did this after reading this tip on my friends boat. My trailer is a Rogue and came with composite bunks so doesn't apply to me.
    Some guys use plastic instead of carpet on the bunks to make them more slick (slicker?). The ones designed for that use can be pricey. Have read of guys using vinyl gutter material from the home improvement store. I've not tried this. Just passing it along.

9. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    Some rollers will sieze up with corrosion, and their placement can be critical. I like bunks as well, you can always spray them with some lube like WD-40 but don't apply great amounts just enough to cover a little of the carpet. WD stands for Water Displacement formula

11. Likes Ldubs, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just George View Post
    I have a 14' Klamath and it sits on a stock 2004 EZ Loader trailer. The trailer came with factory installed carpeted bunks. The bunks extend about 2" past the transom.
    I need to be able to easily launch and retrieve my boat by myself. It looks like the roller setup would be just what I need.

Any ideas, suggestions or comments would be muchly appreciated.
    I have the same boat I have been using since 2000 and launch by myself frequently. Bunks are fine and safest for one person launching.
    You do not need to change to roller bunks unless the launch area has water so shallow you cannot float the transom off the bunks without having your tow vehicle well in the water.
    I have no trouble with wet launches or launches with a dock but my personal preference is a wet launch if available since I can do it with one rope. You only have to barely float the transom off the bunks for an easy launch with the small, light boat since you can give it a shove from the bow and it will glide off the trailer.

If your usual launch site is so shallow the boat the bunks are not wet enough to float the transom, the Klamath is light enough for you to use a hitch extension so the trailer is deeper in the water. I found that I like a hitch extension for my Klamath and I can launch the boat off most beaches or ramps with ease.

13. Likes Ldubs, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely BUNKS
    2000 SuperDuty F250 Diesel
    2007 Columbia Fisherman 2018XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 Kicker Raymarine Element HV9 4 Electric Walker Downriggers

15. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast