Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am thinking of connect two batteries in parallel

Thank you for giving me something more to look into and think about!

Post Thanks / Like

Not an expert so take this with a goodly amount of caution.

I've been looking at Automatic Charging Relays. Basically this gizmo will allow for two separate batteries to be charged from one source, but they act like separate batteries when they are not charging. Not sure this helps your situation, but thought I would toss it out there.

3. Likes Fishfinder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank You!!

Post Thanks / Like

Connecting two batteries parallel (positive to positive, negative to negative) essentially creates one single larger battery. So long as the connecting cables are sufficient, hooking up to a charger, or connecting to electronics is the same as a single battery. Hooking a depthfinder to one and trolling motor to the other wont isolate either one of them. Something that can happen is if you have a dead cell in one battery, it can affect the other, but other than that, just think of it as one bigger battery.

One last thing is to take care not to inadvertently hook them in series. It's easy to get mixed up especially if your moving stuff around or switching out batteries, hooking up chargers, etc. 12 volt electronics don't like 24 volts. Stay clear of that and you should be good to go.

6. Likes Fishfinder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking of connect two batteries in parallel

I am thinking of connect two batteries in parallel, I know I'm keeping the total voltage the same. I have a group 29 battery now, can I put a group 24 battery with it? Also can I run a fishfinder off one and trolling motor off the other? Last can I connect the charger to one and charge them both? I have a small Gregor boat and I want to increase my time using my trolling motor. Right now I'm getting 2 1/2 to 3 hours with 114 amp hours with 2 of us in the boat. If I can add more amp hours, I won't have to run my gas motor as much.