Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new boat to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new boat to me!

You know your main is a gas hog when your speed and gallons per hour consumption are the same number!! Compared to that, the kicker trolls all day on about the same amount of gas I spill at Chevron in each fill up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seon View Post
    No gas for trolling?
    That would be the other third! Hahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sprig1 View Post
    The first question I have is what's your experience on the ocean in what size boat? I can recall a bunch of guys drowning one salmon opener out of the Gate when bad weather caught them out there in boats that were too small. Several groups lost. The weather in the spring is often windy and not like the calm stuff you can have in the fall and what it sounds like you experienced. Get the wind going against the tide and you'll have to go slow going back in and through the bay at a very uneconomical speed. It'll eat the gas up. Never scrimp on gas on the ocean.
    The yardstick I use is if you haven't almost died on the ocean at least once and scared the crap out of yourself a number of times, you haven't experienced the possibilities the ocean offers and that will make you appropriately cautious. Personally, I'll never forget the time I almost had to throw my 22' boat on the beach just west of Pebble Beach golf course because I didn't pay more attention to the flock of huge sheep that I saw appear when the wind picked up and I was in a calm bay.
    I almost forgot. Nice boat.
    I think you are giving great advice about respecting the ocean. You know when I got back into having a boat after a lot of years, I decided I would stay away from SF Bay and the ocean. In fact I seldom even go to the Delta. I just deciding I no longer wanted to deal with swells, wind, tides, etc. Nice calm lakes are now the place I want to be.

Anyway, CraigSH, those are terrific boats. Congrats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CraigSH View Post
    I just this year bought a 2002 170 Montauk. Just to make sure for the rock fish opener, the wife and I filled the boat and an extra 5 gallons of fuel and headed out to the islands. It was a beautiful day, very little wind and almost no swell. We went out of Richmond ran out to the South Farallons then up past the Middle Farallons to the Northern Farallons. we came back to then back to Richmond. After all that I have about one gallon left in my tank and didn't need the extra. Now I'm all ready for the rock fishing this year!!
    The first question I have is what's your experience on the ocean in what size boat? I can recall a bunch of guys drowning one salmon opener out of the Gate when bad weather caught them out there in boats that were too small. Several groups lost. The weather in the spring is often windy and not like the calm stuff you can have in the fall and what it sounds like you experienced. Get the wind going against the tide and you'll have to go slow going back in and through the bay at a very uneconomical speed. It'll eat the gas up. Never scrimp on gas on the ocean.
    The yardstick I use is if you haven't almost died on the ocean at least once and scared the crap out of yourself a number of times, you haven't experienced the possibilities the ocean offers and that will make you appropriately cautious. Personally, I'll never forget the time I almost had to throw my 22' boat on the beach just west of Pebble Beach golf course because I didn't pay more attention to the flock of huge sheep that I saw appear when the wind picked up and I was in a calm bay.
    I almost forgot. Nice boat.

5. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new (to you) Montauk. A great boat, safe and seaworthy for its size. I have a different take on this though. I think a 17 boat is toooo small to safely go 30 miles out in the ocean to the Farallons, even on calm days. The sea outside the gate can change from dead calm to a dangerous maelstrom rough ocean in a very short time . Ive seen the winds come up on a calm day out in the ocean in 60 to 90 minutes and the ocean get way rough and dangerous.
    One time coming back from salmon fishing on a friends 28 boat, off Stinson beach on what started as a calm day turned quite dangerous in no time. The winds started and we decided it was time to go home (to Berkeley marina). The sea was getting a little rough but not too bad. When we went under the gate the bay was the roughest weve ever experienced. The boat was a 28 boat and very seaworthy and my friend the owner a very experienced boater. We honestly didnt think we would make it back to the marina.
    The Farallons are too far out should conditions change quickly to safely make the run all the way back to Richmond. It would take a couple hours and as conditions worsen youd have to go slower and it would take longer. Ive seen 17 and 16 boats out in the ocean even out to the Farallons but generally most stay within a mile or two of shore.
    Im not trying to be negative re your new boat or rain on your parade , just my opinion and my experience with small boats in the ocean.
    So have fun with your new boat, use good judgment, and practice safety first. Tight lines!
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

7. Likes sprig1, Trickytrucker, Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seaohh View Post
    When calculating fuel needs, we go by the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 rule. 1/3 fuel for the trip out, 1/3 for the trip home and 1/3 for reserve.

No gas for trolling?

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

When calculating fuel needs, we go by the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 rule. 1/3 fuel for the trip out, 1/3 for the trip home and 1/3 for reserve.

10. Likes Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Few feelings better than being in a new boat on calm waters. Hope you get lots of use out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Grats on your trip to the Farrallons but 1 gal left after a calm day with virtually no wind is kind of pushing it. So be sure to bring an extra jug of gas .

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

13. Likes Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CraigSH View Post
    I just this year bought a 2002 170 Montauk. Just to make sure for the rock fish opener, the wife and I filled the boat and an extra 5 gallons of fuel and headed out to the islands. It was a beautiful day, very little wind and almost no swell. We went out of Richmond ran out to the South Farallons then up past the Middle Farallons to the Northern Farallons. we came back to then back to Richmond. After all that I have about one gallon left in my tank and didn't need the extra. Now I'm all ready for the rock fishing this year!!
    My boat is topped off with gas, rods and equipment packed and patiently waiting for Morro Bay rockfish opener. This will be season 2 for our new boat. Good luck with that opening weekend in your new boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast