Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flathead caught in the delta mendota Monday ni

Yep Diego, same one. I knew my girlfriend was mistaken about where it was from. She said her mom's co-worker sent the pics and they lived somewhere around placerville. I knew it couldn't have been from there. But that fish from the delta looks like a flat head to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to see if I still have the pics but someone I know with a pond up by Placerville pulled out a catfish with one of those little basketballs in his mouth. I swear it looked like a flathead. But the fish was floating around with this ball he couldn't spit out until the guy pulled him out deflated the ball and let him go. I just heard it was a catfish at the time til I saw the pics and I was like WTF, that's a flathead.... I didn't believe the pond was up in Placerville because of that either but that's where it was...

Post Thanks / Like

" Caliifornias Colorado river allocation"

The Colorado River Aqueduct was built from 1933-41 at the height of the Great Depression. It was designed and built under the direction of Chief Engineer Frank E. Weymouth of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California (MWD), an organization created by state legislative decree in 1928 for the purpose of constructing this water conveyance system. MWD continues to operate the aqueduct, and was the co-sponsor of this HAER documentation project. The 242-mile long aqueduct crosses a harsh desert landscape and is a vital component in supplying Los Angeles and much of southern California with Colorado River water

More then likely the fish have'nt made there way thru the aqauduct up river to the delta more then likely it's a fish that was illegally planted as mentioned but i would'nt even be that cynical to believe it could'nt have happened SOMEHOW naturally. And Robbs been fishing a long long time on these rivers and canals, sleughs and what have ya and has seen alot of fish i'll take his word for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think some one else already said it but its probably a fish that got to big for someones fish tank.I know you can get flat head cats at almost any fish store and you can get them pretty big too.I remeber years ago someone caught a Pacu in the bay.(they look like piranuas)Everyone got freaked out.Then the guy that dumped it in there confesed it was his fish that he just didnt want anymore.But it is probably is a teenage mutant ninja turtle ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Sooner or later, flatties will make thier way up here. Its just a matter of time if it hasn't already happened ;)

Post Thanks / Like

The DFG and many counties plant blue cats practically everywhere. THAT is how they got into the delta and other nor cal lakes+rivers.
    Channel cats have spots, while blue cats and white cats do not have spots.
    My family has been raising commercial channel cats for over 20 years.
    If you believe that is a flathead then I can also show you a picture of a freshwater lingcod I caught. Its really a sculpin...but it LOOKS like a lingcod so it must be!

Just being a jerk,
    you can believe whatever you want===that is the great thing about America!

PK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by delta916
    The only way that fish could be in the valley is by an illegal planting. *And since there is no record of that fish in the valley I tend to believe there is no way it is a flathead.
    Well, what about Blue cats? That species is now present in the delta here in Nor Cali after being introduced into Southern Cali in the late 60s. So, why not flatties as well? Someone had to catch the first blue cat here, and I'm willing to bet MOST blues caught out of the delta are confused with channels anyway.

No one ever plants fish illegally, right? ::)

Especially in the same state...

Also Delta, haven't you heard of the aquaduct?

Even an experienced biologist would not make a positive ID in the feild.
    Are you serious? ???

Look, I'm pretty sure you can look at the photo and ID the fish. Sure, it could be a mutant freak. It could be a very odd looking goldfish, too. However, what is even MORE likely is that its a flathead that has made its way a few hundred miles north, whether by planting or migration, over the last 30 years. But, I guess until someone does DNA testing on it, its probably just a strange muskrat ::)

Post Thanks / Like

Flathead catfish were introduced into the Colorado River near Yuma in 1962
    by the Arizona Game and Fish Department. Young-of-the-year were captured in
    the Highline Canal and several water supply ditches in Californias Imperial
    Valley during early 1968. Flathead catfish have spread upstream in the
    Colorado to the Blythe area and have moved throughout the Imperial Valley
    canal system. In 1980, a flathead catfish was captured in the Bill Williams Arm
    of Lake Havasu, San Bernardino County, 162 miles upstream of the original
    introduction site.[/b]

Hmmm...l980? Been almost 30 years since they were found in San Bernardino county. I wonder if they could have made it here by now?

No way. Again look at a map. There are too many barriers, both natural and manmade, for a fish to migrate from San Bernadino to the central valley. There are no records of that fish being identified in the valley as well. When fish get this big theytend to look abnormal and you must rely on a key to ID them. that means counting fin rays, spines, and other very subtle markers. Or you must do DNA testing. Even an experienced biologist would not make a positive ID in the feild. Without the fish in hand and a good key there is no way to ID the fish now.
    A veteran - Whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to the "United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is an Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote author=vini-v link=board=fresh_cat;num=1124379924;start=30#42 date=11/30/05 at 16:54:31]If there in the colorado they could have found there way down stream into our rivers since they were introduced there in Yuma in 1962 comeon!!

Look at a map. The Colorado River does not flow into the San Joaquin Valley. The only way that fish could be in the valley is by an illegal planting. And since there is no record of that fish in the valley I tend to believe there is no way it is a flathead. A picture proves nothing.
    A veteran - Whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to the "United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is an Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast