Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cat fishing question

S B, if you want to catch lunkers get some jumbo minnows or catch some bluegill if its legal and cut them in half.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll throw my vote in with the crawlers, too. They seem to be the "never fails" fall-back-on bait for cats.
    I like the idea of the hook tied directly to the line with little or no weight. You might have to add just a bit to help you cast further if needed...

Give it a try, you may come up with some lunkers if the pond truly has not been fished for that long.

Good Luck!
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with night crawler on the bottom
    If they are there and hungry, they'll take the crawler.

Post Thanks / Like

Catfish are pretty tough fish, so I bet they are still there. The baits listed above I am sure would work well. You could always add some sent to a crawler as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I would try night crawler or chicken liver. should work and I think they should be alive. I would go with night crawler on the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a pond near my house like that. My friend has told me he has caught cats up to 10lbs out of it. I have never seen the fish so I can't verify that. I have been to the pond once, no one was fishing at the time, but there was nite crawler boxes and empty packages of hooks in the trash cans so I know people fish there. My friend says he uses chicken livers on hook tied directly to his line, no leader no weight.

w2f

JIM_D.

I would try it, use anything you would use elsewhere. Try and find out what natural baits are in it, that would be your best bet. JIM D.

Sierra_hillbilly

Cat fishing question

My friend has an acre sized pond near his house. It was planted years ago with catfish. It's pretty over grown with cat tails and lilly pads. Do you think the cats are still alive? I'm wondering if it's worth a shot to fish or not. If you were going to use a bait for a pond like this what would you use?
    S_h