"WHere were you fishing?" Bigg A's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Let's Talk Moon Phase

My preference is 3 days before and 3 days after a full moon. For some reason they seem to feed heavily and are real agressive around this time but I've never had luck when the moon is 100% full. Some people have told me that they have killed channels on a full moon but I'm still waiting for the day that they show up to the house with a stringer of cats. Some people will look at the moon and say its full but if you look at a moon calendar, it will show you the visibility % of the moon for that day. I went with a friend of the family to fish for cats on a so called "full moon night", the visibility was 93% that night and yes....we slayed'em. He called a couple days later and asked if I wanted to go back out and I declined, seeing that the % was at 98. I spoke with him the next day and he told me the fish must have moved on because he didnt even get a bite!!! My neighbor and his older brother wanted to fish for cats a couple months ago and said tonight should be good... the moon is full, you wanna go? NO!!!..lol. Next day I see him and asked what he caught, and he just shook his head....nothin man!!! The moon does play a role in fishing for cats and doin a little on the water research never hurts. I would say that 95% of the time all my catfishing is done during the daytime no matter how hot it is. Think about this, most associate catfishing at night....right?...and they do prowl around at night, but everything they feed on in the river and sloughs usually goes somewhere to hide at night from predators like bass, stripers and cats. So now you rely on baits like liver,sardines,anchovies etc. Remember, when all other fish are actively out and about during the day, so are catfish!!!! and believe me, they are actively feeding like there's no tomorow!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Bigg A; 07-13-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf74 View Post
    But does it REALLY make that much of a difference? I mean it is dark, and I'm pretty sure the catfish can tell that it isn't daytime anymore, I mean its not 100 degrees lol. I dunno, I still wonder if its just a myth. But then again I could be wrong and usualy am.
    I fish when I can. I pay no attention to the moon. Wreather (cold fronts) to me are more improtant than the moon. JMHO;)

Post Thanks / Like

I think I've babbled about this before, but I'll throw my two cents in again - I always fish for channels with the moon and, more generally, the amount of light in mind. Channels, much more so than bullheads or white cats, like to have just a little bit of light when they're out huntin'. Consequently, those times when the light is about to go to pitch black, or vice versa, is when I really, really rock 'em. During new moons, these periods are at dusk and dawn. If it's a few days before the full moon, one of the best times is right before moonset. A few days after the full moon, moonrise often results in a flurry of activity. Of course, the effect of the moon is dependent on other factors that affect the transmission of light into water. For example, cloud cover can often get channels on the hunt earlier in the evening than sunny skies; big wind can do the same thing. Similarly, overcast skies and big chop in the morning can extend a dawn bite later into morning. Conversely, overcast conditions that obscure a bright moon can kill any effect the moon might have had. Season plays a role, too, since the angle of the sun affects how much light actually gets in the water. For example, in autumn the "dusk" bite is usually an all-evening thing and is not just restricted to the last 30 minutes or so of light. Then, of course, there's the turbidity of the water, which, when real high, pushes those feeding windows more towards brighter conditions. In other words, the moon has an effect, but it's really mixed up with a lot of other factors. I should throw in that I usually fish for wild-spawned channels in reservoirs that're pretty clear and have a big forage fish base, so I'm not sure how applicable this stuff is to other types of waterways.

As far as the bullheads and white cats, they seem less affected by light and are most active when it's pitch black. I'll also say that channels are generally more active in pitch-black conditions than in bright-light conditions; however, it's those periods of impending light change that really get channels on the prowl.
    Last edited by SuckerPunch; 07-13-2010 at 07:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish eats in accordance to the tides. The moon control the tides so the moon does matter however, a shining moon with bad tides, nothing is going to happen.

Post Thanks / Like

i was taught to fish for cats when the moon is on the up and up, meaning just before and during a full moon. I found this to be pretty accurate. i caught alot during the full moon.

JIM_D.

I have fished for cats all my life and have never found any difference what stage the moon is in.

Post Thanks / Like

But does it REALLY make that much of a difference? I mean it is dark, and I'm pretty sure the catfish can tell that it isn't daytime anymore, I mean its not 100 degrees lol. I dunno, I still wonder if its just a myth. But then again I could be wrong and usualy am.

Post Thanks / Like

we just went to amador looking for cats and the moon was shining bright and we had zero luck. The last time we went, there was no moon and a buddy of mine caught a nine pounder. So there is a difference in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always been told a full moon was the worst time to catfish because allt he light it transmitted. The cats think it's day time. or stleast that's what I've always been told my my gramps.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's Talk Moon Phase

I know the general belief is that the best night catfishing is to be found around the time of a full moon, but I've never really noticed a difference. Full, half, none at all; its never seemed to make much difference what the moon looks like.

What are your thoughts on moon phase?