Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sportsmans Warehouse vs. Scheels

Must be slow fishing when old posts are resurrected

2. Likes burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    For me all three places are worth the trip, but when I want only fishing gear I go to Sportsman's only for volume and price. I can't wait for the one in Carson to be finished, they have three walls up so far.....Jetspray

I do Cabelas, Scheels and then to Sportsman's warehouse.
    fishing, reloading, archery, hunting, and 125 miles round trip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RenoMick View Post
    While Scheels is indeed huge, largest sporting goods store in the world at 300,000 sq. feet, one thing differentiates them from the true "big box stores", all the store ordering is done at the local store level, rather than decisions being made by "corporate" from 2000 miles away. Each individual "shop" in Scheels is run by a specialty shop manager, in the case of the fishing shop, 2 shop managers that are local guys. Many of these older posts came shortly after the store opened, in which case most of th opening merchandise had been decided by corporate....the basic stuff. Since opening a year and a half ago, you'll notice that many shops have "modified" to include local favorites as well as frequently requested merchandise. For instance, check out the fly shop, then try and find some of those patterns in an Orvis catalog. Also, if you don't see it, ask. If it's available, it can be special ordered for you. Nothing against either SW or Cabelas, I've shopped both frequently, but one other major plus for Scheels is that being an employee owned company, owned by full-time white shirt and blue shirt shop managers, is that they are always willing to go that extra mile to help you get set up properly.
    I kind of have an inside scoop ;)
    Scheels What?

Post Thanks / Like

While Scheels is indeed huge, largest sporting goods store in the world at 300,000 sq. feet, one thing differentiates them from the true "big box stores", all the store ordering is done at the local store level, rather than decisions being made by "corporate" from 2000 miles away. Each individual "shop" in Scheels is run by a specialty shop manager, in the case of the fishing shop, 2 shop managers that are local guys. Many of these older posts came shortly after the store opened, in which case most of th opening merchandise had been decided by corporate....the basic stuff. Since opening a year and a half ago, you'll notice that many shops have "modified" to include local favorites as well as frequently requested merchandise. For instance, check out the fly shop, then try and find some of those patterns in an Orvis catalog. Also, if you don't see it, ask. If it's available, it can be special ordered for you. Nothing against either SW or Cabelas, I've shopped both frequently, but one other major plus for Scheels is that being an employee owned company, owned by full-time white shirt and blue shirt shop managers, is that they are always willing to go that extra mile to help you get set up properly.
    I kind of have an inside scoop ;)
    No matter how hard I try, or how dilligently I work...That internet fame seems to always elude me, remaining forever out of reach, like a moving brass ring...

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Scheels is in Reno off of I-80 freeway. If you are headed east you will see it on the left side of the freeway and need to take the next exit, go over the freeway and take the next left at the stop light.....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

whers schells?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray
    "Check it out" is the key phrase here, you usually have to write a big check or pull out some plastic.....Jetspray
    Yes, that is very true. [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

"Check it out" is the key phrase here, you usually have to write a big check or pull out some plastic.....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

I would say you gotta go check it out at least once. That's what I do with all the new sporting goods stores. ;D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast