Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A bad charter on Tahoe

Yup, Mickey is a local legend, he's still doing it, and although he usually uses pretty heavy tackle for deep mackinaw, he makes it happen, catching numbers and some monsters.

Post Thanks / Like

Weez,Doc:

You remember Micky Daniels? he may still be guiding. I booked a trip with him some years back, took some great friends and had a great time. I brought Mickey fried chicken and told him I'm going to feed you good, you just find us fish. That man put us on Macs, Rainbows and Browns. Mickey even let us set and pull his minnow traps. He tought us how to catch Tui chubs which you know is prime rib to a trophy Brown. They dont make men like that too often.

MS

Post Thanks / Like

Weez said it best. What we did was rush into this without asking questions. We decided next time to not let this happen again. I can say the wedding was great and the happy couple is leaving today for Mexico and hopefully better fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

well put Weez. I agree with both you and Doc. I have read losts of posts from you guys, and you both have tons of knowledge. And by spending a day on the water with someone that knowledgeable would no doubt be well worth it, fish or no fish. I kinda look at a guide as a teacher, you are paying for a lesson on what to look for, to help you after the day of guiding to improve techniques. The same reason why you would go to a hitting coach if you were in a slump or wanted some batting knowledge. But if they aren't teaching or helping you, atleast be put on the fish. Is that asking more than what the guide should provide?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I threw in my 299 cents (it used to be just 2 cents but what with the price of gas today...), left this message thread alone for a couple of days and look at the thorny blossoms that have bloomed.

Docstressor has explained it where I only could add to his good points. If your guide works his butt off, helps you constantly, teaches you something valuable, tells you a funny story or two, and the fishing is still slow, then he's done his job.

Ability and knowledge to put you on fish is the first and foremost qualification for guides, but fish or no fish, who wants to spend the day with a grumpy *******? The worse the fishing is the pissier some of these guys get, while when it's slow, I actually break out my best 'standup fishing routine' and try to lighten the mood.

I agree with Doc that we don't need to name names publicly, but the guys who have had bad trips on Tahoe have both sent me messages confirming my guesses as to who they went with.

Questions for a Tahoe Charter:

Will we be jigging or trolling? How deep are you trolling right now? How deep do you usually troll? Do you use wireline or downriggers for deep trolling? What pound-test leader? Minnows or lures? Are we only catching mackinaw, or are there any other species on tap? Will I be fishing with you or another captain?.....

On second thought, there are about 20 more questions, so as Doc said, look for a personal testimonial from someone you trust. Recent website photos from Tahoe charters that are catching the big ones would also be good, but none of them seem to be that Internet savvy.

That's all for now on looking for a Tahoe charter, but if you guys want to keep discussing what to look for in a fishing guide in general, I could keep bothering you.

I guided three people from a big 'corporate group', fly fishing the East Carson today, and the two 'experienced' anglers really just brought a bunch of expensive gear and listened more poorly. The absolute beginner did the best. Still, everyone hooked fish and a good time was had by all.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as they work hard and really try to put you on fish and provide an entertaining trip, they deserve their money.
    (not sure how to pull a quote but this is in reply to Doc)

yeah I understand fuel costs, time on the lake and all that adds up before a client even steps on the boat. But I'm pretty sure for $560 the guide got his initial costs back plus his guiding fee. I think the guiding fee is what is in question here. It didnt sound like this guy was working hard or entertaining his client or this topic would not be up for discussion. This guy should have advertised a boat rental not a guding service. Just my opinion, I would feel bad making someone pay that kinda of money and not getting them the product they were after no matter what business it is. I guess it just comes down to business ethics or a lack of communication between client and guide. Just hate to see someone's hard earned money wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

The onlt thing I take as "guaranteed" when going on a charter is a ride back to shore. That's not saying I wouldn't be dissapointed if I didn't catch any fish and I'd still wear a life jacket if the conditions dictated. ;)

What is great about the Sniffer board is there are plenty of people from all different areas of No Cal and Nevada(and beyond) to get info from if one is planning a trip somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

There are going to be days when the fishing is tough and even the best guides get skunked on occasion. They still have to pay for the boat and fuel, so not very many can go the "no fish, no pay" route. As long as they work hard and really try to put you on fish and provide an entertaining trip, they deserve their money.

Here's another thing to consider. Certain times of year or time of the month are not ideal for fishing. Before you go and commit the kind of money a charter costs these days, it pays to find out about the fishing conditions and plan your trips accordingly. Most guides will tell you when the best times are. They hate not catching fish.

This past weekend was a full moon. If you tried to go mac fishing during the full moon, several other folks on the boards could have told you that fishing would be tough.

Post Thanks / Like

very classy of you Jason. I know I would have been pissed off if I spent $140 for a tour of the lake. If I take a charter I want atleast 1 $140 fish. I've only been on one charter before in Cape Cod and only caught one fish. It was a 44 inch 28 lbs striper, needless to say a little skinny for what the weight would have been out this way. But atleast I caught one. And we landed a 42 incher and a 26 inch bluefish. So basically if you are paying good money to be put on fish, you should be put on fish. I feel your trip should have warranted a refund. I know there is a guide up here that advertises NO FISH NO PAY but not sure if he fishes Lake Tahoe. That may be the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the way to do it. ;)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast