Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Volume

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Low Volume

Quote Originally Posted by 0D2C2B372C21450
    I've never quite understood why but the volume on the transmitting radio effects your reception volume.* If transmitting radio volume is turned to low, you will hear only low.
    Two completely different circuits. One can not effect the other, and, I just tested this theory with my handheld and fix mounted radios at a 40 foot distance. I also tested with 2 FSR radios and found the same results. So......with Uniden radios this is not the case. SD what man of radio are you using? While I'm not using Icom or SH equipment, I'm pretty sure they are at least as good as my Uniden stuff.

Edd

Pro Staff - MACK'S-SHASTA TACKLE CO
    Pro Staff - SCOTTY FISHING
    Pro Staff - SHARK TROLLING PRODUCTS
    Pro-Staff - WATER WOLF HD CAMERAS
    Ambassador - Pro-Cure Bait Scents

Post Thanks / Like

I've never quite understood why but the volume on the transmitting radio effects your reception volume. If transmitting radio volume is turned to low, you will hear only low.

2003 Jetcraft SK215
    150 HP Yamaha, 8 HP Yamaha T8 & 80 Lbs Minn Kota Riptide, 2006 Dodge Dually

Post Thanks / Like

exactly what im going through with a new in box raymarine Ray49. New antenna et al (new boat too)....very quiet reception....can barely hear, it is receiving, just barely hear it...trasmitting fine. assuming faulty speaker out of box.
    "Everyone has to believe in something. I believe if I can touch them they are real"

Post Thanks / Like

Will do guys...

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5A7B7070776D1E0
    HHEVISHOT5,* If you know of someone that will let you use their antenna on their boat by running* power to your Raymarine 45 you could eliminate the antenna as a culprit.* I'd hate to see you get a new VHF and have the same issue.*
    Thanks Dennis. One other point is that sometimes the center pin solder job looks good but it is NOT. Try Dennis' idea with a friend and also try an external speaker. These 2 tricks should point you in the in the right direction.

Edd

Post Thanks / Like

Edd,
    Most initial VHF problems are due to poor solder joints on the antenna cable.* He said that he checked the connections and cleanded them so it may be either a bad speaker or an internal ground like you suggest.*

A friend had poor reception and transmission until he had someone resolder the antenna connection.* Soldering the connector looks fairly straight forward but it's actually difficult to get the ground connector soldered properly.*

HHEVISHOT5,* If you know of someone that will let you use their antenna on their boat by running* power to your Raymarine 45 you could eliminate the antenna as a culprit.* I'd hate to see you get a new VHF and have the same issue.*

Post Thanks / Like

Yep think I'm going to break out the check book, and replace it. For sure a good investment...

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Dennis, could this be a internal ground problem as well?

I don't know that I would spend a lot of time on it. If it doesn't work with an external, there are plenty of good DSC radios on the market for a buck-and-a-half.

Edd

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you have a bad internal speaker. Perhaps it was bad from the factory or maybe water damage? If you have a speaker that you can wire in as an external try that.

Post Thanks / Like

No external speaker, just the one in radio. Yes volume control works. Turn on, as I increase the volume to full, it only give me low reception, you have to get close to speaker to hear. Even with squelch turned up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast