Post Thanks / Like

Re: stripers in palo alto?

I'd fish the other side of the bay for more consistent action. Alameda / Oakland shores have always produced well
    @delta_fisher - follow me on Instagram

@limitlures @slyguylures @nor.cal.kat

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen nothing but sharks and rays caught at the Palo Alto Baylands, but a few years ago after a big flood had washed tons of organic material into the area, the oxygen consumed by all the rotting debris turned the waters anoxic for a while, (perhaps between tides?) A reliable friend who jogs in that area reported seeing about a dozen large (8lb plus) dead stripers in the soughs and on the mudflats. I think decent sized stripers occasionally come there on high tides but are rarely caught. I have seen a lot of fishing effort in the area over the years (on the levee in front of the Nature Center and out by the Tide Gate) and never once have I seen a large striper landed. Lots of leopard sharks though.
    Last edited by 377; 01-09-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i used to live down there. gots to do some hiking and sloshing.

tjhunts

People fish the sloughs at the baylands park by the palo alto yacht club. I have never caught any big fish there, but have caught them on poppers and on hair raisers.

TJ

Post Thanks / Like

I use to live in the bay area, left in 89 for Sact. Use to fish dumbarton pier on palo alto side a lot for rays and sharks. A friend of mine told me they use to fish not the pond but the nearby baylands. I'm not sure how to describe them or how to get there, it's been awhile, but they are real close to embarcadero I believe, near the duck ponds. They fished with lures, top water I believe. He said they would catch a lot, big ones too. I would walk around out there before I knew him. I suspected there were fish in there because every now and then I'd run across some cut bait laying around. I remember there's some trails out there, like a wild life area. People walk around out there checking out the birds, running, etc..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slim
    SOUNDS Like a fish story to me.. I have heard in times pass, though, stripers going through the tubes in Brisbane under the HWY. And people fishing for them there. But now-a-days I don't think you can fish there (???)... Not really sure.

You can check with the fly shop in Belmont. They had a guy or two in there that striper fished locally !!!

http://www.thecaddis.com/

Slim
    still can...but no shore fishing access on the bay side....if you have a shallow draft boat you can fish the bay side....spring and fall with the top of the tide moving either way.

Post Thanks / Like

.......... I have heard in times pass, though, stripers going through the tubes in Brisbane under the HWY. And people fishing for them there. But now-a-days I don't think you can fish there (???)... Not really sure.

You can check with the fly shop in Belmont. They had a guy or two in there that striper fished locally !!!

http://www.thecaddis.com/

Slim

Post Thanks / Like

stripers in palo alto?

HEY IVE HEARD A FEW STORIES OF PEOPLE CATCHING DECENT SIZED STRIPERS OUT BY THE DUCK POND IN PALO ALTO. I HAVENT FISHED IT BUT WOULD BE WILLING IF ANY ONE COULD TELL ME SOME GODD INFO THANKS..