Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water in Fuel Problem

Great thread, guys. Thank you...

Post Thanks / Like

i paid 35.00 for the base, 1.80 per foot for marine 3/8 fuel line plus hose clamps.. marine fuel line is thicker and supposed to resist salt etc. and i would not trust auto fuel hose.

Jan_from_Humboldt

Welcome to the wonderful world of ethanol mixed gasoline, the ethanol attracts water.

Buy a good Raycor water fuel seperator and keep a ten micton filter on ot and change it out a minum of once a year or better twice a year.
    Also keep a fuel stabalizer in your fuel at all times as this will help pull out the water and keep you motoring.

If you don't do this you will spend big bucks on repairs this spring.

Read this article

http://www.maxrules.com/fixgas.html

Post Thanks / Like

for a water filter and mounting base go to napa and ask for a 4309 base and a 3123 filter. this filter has a drain petcock and is metal not plastic. the filter cost me $11.25

Post Thanks / Like

I just went thru. the same problem on my old boat. After I got the old fule out I pulled a piece of dirt into the carb. and it clogged up one of the jets. $40 kit and carb. dip I am running again. I installed a remote fuel seperator unit similar to the pic. doc posted.

Post Thanks / Like

defenetly get the one with the drain. it has a clear blue plastic bottom to it. It is easy to see the water/junk. and is easy to drain. I always carry an extra filter element. as for the trolling moter goes I use a 3 gallon plastic can.

Post Thanks / Like

Water in fuel is a common problem on all boats. You should never run without a water fuel seperator. I would highly recommend you buy a quality unit like a racor. The cheap units don't work nearly as well and the racors have a drain on th bottom so you can drain water out easily. Water in fuel is a major problem especially in fuel injected motors. This could easily kill your motor even if its new.

donzitroller

Thanks for the info and suggestions. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has suffered this problem. I'll dig into it a little more this weekend maybe. Silver, the kicker I put on has a separate gas tank that's kept under the sundeck so no problem there! I'll report what I find, and what works out!

FISH ON!

Post Thanks / Like

Donzitroller, another thing that I forgot to mention was the hookup of your kicker motor. I think in the past you put a kicker on your boat? Anyway, if you have a kicker, it's recommened not to hookup your kicker and your main engine to the same water/fuel seperator. Sometimes this can cause a fuel starvation problem (also can suck air). I found this out the hard way! Either route your kicker to the main tank, or add another filter. In any case too much water in the tank can still get you stuck!! >:(

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you have old gas you can take it to any fire Dept. to be disposed of, I did this but it was like ten years ago and it was only 10 gallons. Give you local Dept a call they would know where to take it ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast