Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WAHOO! I FINALLY GOT IT! (new gear) (pics)

If you push in the clip on the end of the scotty releases the tension is lessened. I like it tighter myself. I hate popping the clip for no reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Trout_T
    Congrats. One more piece of advice if you will allow me. Carry an extra DR weight and terminal tackle setup, and a good pair of wire cutters. The best of us have lost the DR ball unexpectedly, or it got hung up on something we did not see and that was never there before. Having an extra will save the day.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah those are the Scotty's Trout_Terminator. They work well too. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Kaidoy. The Vances or Sep's releases are the best. I have tried the Scotty's, Shasta Tackle, and a couple of others. I always reach for the Vance's when I'm fishing.

frank

Post Thanks / Like

You meen like this ::)

Bought two becouse of these...

going out on tuesday to get some new rodes for them though, they are to stiff :-/

Post Thanks / Like

If you want some good light releases for fish such as Trout and Kokanee, go by your local fishing store and pick up the releases made by Vance or Seps. We use them and work great!

Oh yeah, congrats on your new downrigger and equipment. Word of advice, don't bust your knuckles on that downrigger. I've used those on a friend's boat. My knuckles got a little to close to the handle as I was letting it down and BAM! My knuckles were sore the rest of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

....and a whole new world of fishing opens up. Hey TT, it is a big deal if it gets you to the fish. Vance is right you need different releases for different fish sizes. I haven't found many books on the subject of trolling, but, you might want to check out Pro-Troll's Downrigger Fishing Techniques for some good basic info. Now that you've got the edge, remember to leave some for the rest of us ;)

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a great setup for the tuna-like kokes they catch up here in Oregon at Crescent and Odell lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Trout_Terminator

You are now set for Trout and Kokanee fishing. It sounds like you had problems with your release. The release that is sent with the Scotty downriggers is a heavy release and works for Salmon and large species.

You may want to pick up an adjustable light to medium light release to eliminate the problem. Other than that your armed and ready!!!

Vance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trout_Terminator
    last sunday i went to folsom and tried it out *;D. the first fish i got i tihnk i pulled him around half of the lake, becouse, when i pulled him up, he was spinning *;D.
    Been there, done that, it will happen less frequently when you get used to setting up your releases. Hope you have fun with it. I am hooked and they are the only way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast