Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eating Sand Crabs?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sistercrippler
    Sand crabs are pretty good! I used to catch LOADS of em' at La Selva beach in SC with my Dad. One day my uncle said" Hey, let's fry those up." Try it out, you'll like em I think. Briny goodness. Like Crass said... Hot Chilies and garlic... it's a feast. Oh , and the people on the beach think your NUT'S when you fry em' up right there on the beach :o

That and a side of seagull would get some looks I bet... ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Baiter
    I wonder why I have never seen them eating them on survivor. * ;D
    natives ate them already and left the rats for the castaways! ;D

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why I have never seen them eating them on survivor. ;D

Post Thanks / Like

Any time out surf fishing in sandy areas, I quickly catch lots of sand crabs using a dip net I Internet bought for less than $20 from:

http://www.deltanetandtwine.com/dip%20net.htm

In places the net will fill with several dozen at each passing wave. I've sometimes thought if civilization came to an end from a global disaster, I could count on easily catching lots of sand crabs for at least some food. The main issue is one of size. Most I've netted are rather small for hooking while the larger ones that often also have eggs can take some time to find and net. On some sandy beaches they are abundant while on others not, though such varies considerably every 100 feet or so along a beach.

Post Thanks / Like

wow...those are nice sized ..... :o

great video ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Baiter
    Cant wait to hear about it. *Take some pic if you can. *If you have problems posting them up you can E-mail them to me and I will post them.
    I know the first thing I said was take a pic! ;D Still cool. Thanks for being the first one to try it and looks like everyone including me wants some more details. 8-)

Post Thanks / Like

You better not be yanking our chain, Figg. I'm with Mooch: I want to know if the shells are REALLY good to eat, and are they squishy or crunchy... and inside antennas'?... and don't tell me you went to the trouble of cooking those little helmets without taking a single picture. *::)

And yeah, Mooch: You gotta eat the whole thing. You'd have a real hard time filleting those little blue slabs we see when we peel the shell for bait. *[smiley=duh.gif]

Mooch is right, though: If this is for real they would defiantly be great fare for a Sniffer get-to-gether. *8-)

When I was there last week they were easy to scoop up, even with my light-weight backpack scoop they were right there; on the surface with shiny, light shells. Not like other times of the year when they have shells like an armadillo and hard to peel.

Don't hold back Figg. Tell us everything... and show us a picture. [smiley=winkfs.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mogwizzle
    Alright here's the verdict............They're good!!! My recipe is as follows:

Clean crabs well remove mouth covers and internal antennas (you'll know when you see 'em)

-Season with seasoning salt of your choice.
    -Fry until light pink or white
    -Sauce mixture: Lime juice, butter, thyme, parsley and hotsauce. I dont measure things when I cook so you can mix to taste. Ill tell you one thing I wish I had more!!!!
    OK, either you did this, or you're yanking our chain! So, what do they taste like? Fishy? Shrimpy? Crabby? Are they meaty or squishy inside? When you fry em up, do the shells become edible like they say? Did you eat them whole?

And we want to see pictures as proof. ;)

Dude, even if you were lying (and I don't thnk you were!) I'd try 'em on a dare. They sound like they would taste good dipped in mae ploy (a Thai sweet chili dipping sauce used for fried foods).

If a Saltwater Sniffer GTG every materialized, THIS would be a no-brainer to serve...

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go, Figg! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Did you take any pictures? I was out last Thursday and caught some for bait and thought of bringing some home to try, but didn't want them drying out in the back of the truck as I had other stops, and I don't think it's a good idea to cook them when they're dead, same rule as other shellfish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mogwizzle
    Alright here's the verdict............They're good!!!
    SWEET! Now the perch have competion for food, with us fishsniffers! ;D

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast