Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bodega Salmon 8-20-05

Thanks Sunracer. Based on this thread alone, there are 3 fish swimming around with lures in their mouths. :-/ I'll take 65whaler and Gone Fishin's advice and re-tie. Don't want to lose another 20 pounder because of a single knot.

Post Thanks / Like

Great pic's and I also lost one at the back of the boat Friday so if anyone gets a fish with a green RSK and a Green Flasher, I'd like to get my gear back :o

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a picture of my wife and the 28 pounder. She's hooked now. For the first time, she's actually the one pushing to go back fishing.

She's too petite to lift that HOG into full view, so here's another picture for reference. We caught both on that double hookup. The bigger one measures 37".

Here's what some of that fish looks like before I introduced them to Mr. Alder. Too bad I only have 2 racks... no way to hold 50 lbs of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Actually, I fished this morning. That was my first trip out of Bodega. LOTS of boats out there. Sounds like I'll have to re-tie those rigs. I'm pretty sure I'll be back again ... after I buy a new net :)

Maybe I'll see some of you out there. Today was pure impulse ... the plan was to fish HMB for rockfish. Changed my mind when I saw water @ 3 feet every 15 seconds.

Corn

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Corn...Great report. ;D ;D

I didn't know you were out yesterday, I would have talked to you.
    I tie all of my own knots now on 50 lb mono...Have,nt have any line breaks since I've down this. The Salmon do not seamed to be shy of the heavy line.

Good luck and take care...Ron
    http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic15017_1.gif

Post Thanks / Like

nice job. sounds like a couple nice days. i buy the rsk heads in the 3 box, some 30# fluorocarbon and bead swivels. it's probably more expensive, but those knotts they tie and the line they use is obsurd. it's also nice to take advantage of the two hook rule.

Post Thanks / Like

same thing happend to me yesturday with a 25lbs or bigger fish
    it broke the wtermelon apex where u were fishin now i retie all my brand new gear. If ne Catches a fish witih a watermelon apex in its mouth can i have my apex back please?

Post Thanks / Like

Bodega Salmon 8-20-05

Fished from 7:30-9:30am. *We started at Bird and worked our way down to Elephant. *Trolled chart RSK (EChip) and a clear FBR, both with anchovies. *35-50 pulls in 50-100 feet of water. *All 3 fish came in front of Mclures in 50-60 feet of water, at 45-50 pulls.

The first fish went 20 pounds and got off at the boat ... we were SO close to netting it. *The line was curled at the end where it broke off. *It appears that the knot was bad... poorly tied by the manufacturer (Chart Echip).

About 30 minutes later, my wife and I got a double hookup. *Chaos kicked in... who will do the netting? *Who will trim the motor up. *The lines crossed at one time. *I thought we'd tangle and lose both fish. *My wife's fish came in first, so I just put my rod in the holder and hoped that fish would stay on. *Netted her fish (22 lbs). *Then I checked my rod and it was still on. *Boxed him shortly afterwards (28 lbs). *The fish hit a green RSK (Echip) and a clear FBR. *One note: that Echip RSK also broke at the knot immediately after we got it in the boat. *If you use those RSKs, make sure to check the knot or re-tie yourself.

But stupid me ... with all the chaos in the boat, I didn't think clearly when bringing the fish on board. *I didn't grab the net frame to pull up the fish. *I pulled it up using the main shaft... it bent. *I bent it back and it snapped. *We had no net so we called it a day. *3 hits, 2 fish boxed at 22 and 28lbs.