Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fluorocarbon Fishing Line

I like to tie the Double Clinch Knot. Simple and fast, Super strong. and I snell knot all my Fluoracarbon on the hooks for what every type of fishing I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HookedForLife
    *It is simpler to tie and is stronger than the blood knot. Good luck!
    Accually both knots retain nearly 100% of line strength unless your using over 25 lb. test. Blood knot goes through the guides much easier and is easier to tie for me than the surgeons knot trying to pass 6' of line through a loop three times.

Post Thanks / Like

For trolling - I like to use braid with a flourocarbon coated leader @60'.
    I have tested as follows-2 rods mono-2rods coated-2 rods 100 percnt
    results-the latter 4 fished the same and out produced the mono on four separate trips to Pyramid. all rods had the same lures and 2 oz long lined behind the boat. all trips produced between 25 and 65 fish.
    the 100 percent flourocarbon is definitely more prone to breaking at the worst time which is why i did the experiment.
    hope that helps-fishnlate

Post Thanks / Like

For a long time I used P-line CFX leader material because all of the filler spool fluoro's on the market at that time were terrible compared to it. They frayed, broke when typing knots, had too much stretch and very little abrasion resistance.

But after reading about the fluoro line shootout on Tackletour, I tried Toray and found that it was as good as the P-line CFX but was a little cheaper (based on 150yds) and didn't turn milky over time.

Post Thanks / Like

It is on their web site...just click on "articles"...pretty good info in the article.

Post Thanks / Like

The North American Fishing Club magazine...The North American Fisherman has a great article on Fluorcarbon line in its new February issue...try their web site...www.Fishing Club.com...it might be on their site.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GutHookd
    Good for leaders only IMO.
    I would agree. *I use P-line in the 25 yard spool and only for leader. *There actually is a difference between the small spool of P-line and the larger ones in the same lb. test. *Diameter and stength. ;)
    I find the leader material to be much stronger and uniform in it's breaking characteristics(weak spots) than the large spools of the stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Good for leaders only IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Never understood why people who fish powerbait use fluoro? Guess they don't realize it's heavier than mono and sinks *
    I use flouro when fishing Powerbait and the Powerbait is bouyant enough to float when using flouro leader. *I've been using it for years and been quite sucessful.

Post Thanks / Like

All lines have strengths and weaknesses. The hard part is figuring out what line is best for that type of fishing.

IMO Fluorocarbon is great for very clear water, some types of feel fishing, and as leader material for vertical jigging and long line trolling.

Bad things about fluoro is that you must wet the knots or it will burn the line, some of it has as much/has more stretch than mono, is expensive compared to mono, compared by diameter it's weaker than mono (some companies though) and most who try fluoro use it for the wrong applications. Never understood why people who fish powerbait use fluoro? Guess they don't realize it's heavier than mono and sinks :o

Lastly, all fluoro lines are not created equal. Some lines on the market have created a bad name for fluoro, Berkley Vanish. Today there are some great lines out there, just ask people on here or your local trusted tackle shop.

Personally I feel Berkley Fluorocarbon is great for the $$ but I like the super expensive Toray super upgrade :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast