Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/d dinos marine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Rapala How-To

ok, so i take a handful of rapalas up to the counter of my goto tackle shop, the guy asks where i am fishing. i tell him amador! the guy tells me i must be old school, and need to try the new lures, diawa, some poink lure (supposed to be the hottest lure), and a couple of other japanese plugs. to make it short, what plug catches the fish? why the rapala of course!!! i spent alot of money on some lures that look pretty, but dont catch trout for sh*t.
    motto of the story? rapalas rule!

Post Thanks / Like

glad you guys liked that......a driller/buddy gave it to me a couple years ago as a fun gift for some work i got for him, its about 3 ft long and actually built for use ( i was thinking of trying pyramid w/ it *;) )

re: line connections........little red duolocks for me, i dont think they hurt the action at all, and changeouts are a snap :) * i put a 6 to 7 wrap modified clinch knot to the duolock and never had a problem w/ the knot breaking. always check the knot and nearby line after every fish of course.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hiking-Jay
    Even with a ring already on the Rapala I either use a rapala knot, or more often I tie a small clip (not a snap swivel, just a clip) on the end of my line and use that to attach my lure. I can change lures more easily this way, and the clip allows that extra bit of action for the lure.
    I dislike this idea for only one reason. The knot to the clip will weaken with every fish caught and will need to be retied. With a lure change you are forced to re-tie then, with a clip I think you may not re-tie enough through the day, just clipping and un-clipping lures all day. *Just *thought.

Oh and I dont feel the rapala knot is always necessary. Different knots just effect the swim pattern, some times different(smaller side to side with a clinch knot) is better. I usually run one rap with a rapala knot and one with an improved clinch.
    Keep chasing those planter trucks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave_in_el_dorado
    i love fishing w/ rapalas.

i recommend this one :) :

LOL we use that one trolling behind our houseboat at the end of a 10 ft super heavy surf rod. Spend most of the time reeling in just to get the looks. It's quite humorous. A great buy for $20

Edd
    Pro Staff - MACK'S-SHASTA TACKLE CO
    Pro Staff - SCOTTY FISHING
    Pro Staff - SHARK TROLLING PRODUCTS
    Pro-Staff - WATER WOLF HD CAMERAS
    Ambassador - Pro-Cure Bait Scents

Post Thanks / Like

The Rapala knot is great. Just have to keep an eye on it. It does get some where. That's why i also use the duolock snaps. Makes for easier changes. I have caught trout up at Camanche with f-5's all the way to F-13's. My go to colors are Black / Gold and Orange / Gold in the morning when no sun light. Then Firetiger and Hot Steel are my sun light colors. But i have caught a lot of fish with other colors. Just what ever they want that day. As for Scent. Nothing but Pro-cure Shad Gel or Krill Gel. Just remember to clean them off before putting away.

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Post Thanks / Like

Lose the Rapala Knot! Are you serious? I use the Rapala Knot religiously. Yo-zuri 8lb. line with Rapala Knot. I have counted the trout I caught on one rod testing the yo-zuri line w/ the Rapala Knot. 174 trout, 3- hook change outs later, I decided to retie only because the line above the knot was frayed. As for the Rapala, We swear by it. My family and I have caught and released thousands of trout on them. There aren't to many lures that will troll fast or slow like a Rapala.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, loose the rapala knot. It gets weak real fast. Use a duolock snap. No swivel. I use a swivel(spro#10) to attach the leader(P-line floroclear) to the main line(fire line crystal).

Orange and gold, gold and black, silver and black, and rainbow are my favorites to troll with. I have others.

Floaters for shallow water. CDs and BBs for deeper water. I usually run 13's or 18's. Occasionally 9's and 11's.

I usually troll at approx. 3mph, sometimes a little faster or slower depending. Sometimes ripping them or varying boat speed. Making wide or sharp turns.

I like to run two different colored raps, one at approx. 250' and one at 350'. Sometimes 250' and 300'...... :)

Catch ya later ... hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Ya good observation. Same results, but mostly in streams i don't target quick moving water. I target pools, and slow moving water, normally around some kind of cover.

Post Thanks / Like

I also prefer the Duralock snap. Not only easier to change lures but the Rapala knot can ware out after a while and should be retied more often.
    One think I noticed about using CD Raps in streams is that the sink rate seems to change a bunch. For some reason something about the dynamics of the moving water causes them to sink much slower at times then in still water or even suspend. Id guess closer to 2 seconds per foot in moving water.
    GC

outdoorsman

Very good. One day I was at amador and messing around. First cast with a little rapala bam.
    The rainbow trout supergel isnt meant for trout. Use it on swimbaits for bass. ;)

Also dont forget(if you bass it) about the stacee 90 by lucky craft. I know its pricey but it will catch trout and bass. At the american river ive caught stripers and steelies on the same day, and kokes at folsom. Good read. ;D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast