Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topaz Opener Questions

You were out there on opening day during the flood? :o *I was on shore watching without any poles in the water thinking,"boy I hope that guy makes it out. *I remember there were like mini-tornadoes touching down on the water. *I spent the next three days sand-bagging. *I hope this deep cold snap we're suppose to get doesn't freeze the edges of the lake for the opener or I'll be home watching bowl games! ;D ;D *Good luck out there Tom.

Post Thanks / Like

We took the long drive (5 minutes) :) from our house to the lake today to check out the water level and boat ramps. Topaz Marina below the Lodge is so low that I don't think you could even launch a small aluminum boat. The county ramp is launchable, but there is no dock in the water right now and very shallow and rocky around the shore line to pick up somebody. There is a dock there out of water that I'm hoping they put in before opening day. I am friends with the guy that runs the county park and will find out next week if they're putting their dock in. If not, we will be joining the shore fisherman. Also just bought our Non-Resident California license - $104.20 plus $12.10 for the second rod stamp. Ouch!!! :'( One way or the other we will be there, I have not missed an opener in 19 years, even during the "97 New Years Flood, I was the only boat on the lake for that opener. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by untalan1
    Do you think your chances are better at catching *one of those money fish bank fishing?
    Yes, although chances of catching one are remote because there aren't that many. *This time of year the trout are rather sluggish due to cold water temps and they seem to bite better when they have time to inspect and swallow a still bait, is my guess. ;) *Twenty-eight years of fishing Topaz has shown me that in the winter shore fisherman have a better chance of catching some good fish than trollers but there are no absolutes. Trolling seems to pick up in April when the water starts warming up.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think your chances are better at catching one of those money fish bank fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

If you catch one that has a brightly colored tag in the dorsal like the one in the picture run don't walk to the Topaz General store because you just made some bucks! 8-) ;) *This one was worth $500.00! :o

Post Thanks / Like

My friend drove to the county ramp and he said the water is very low and he suggested calling chuck at topaz marina 775-266-3550 and ask about launching conditions for some first hand info the day before you go. You folks have a great time on the opener!
    troller

Post Thanks / Like

Launching can sometimes be a problem when it’s really cold and several trailers have pulled in and out. Gets a good sheet of ice going on the ramp and the more boats that launch the worse it gets. Can be tough to get back up the ramp even with 4wd sometimes once it ices up. I’d launch early on the opener.
    GC

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think the lake looked that low. Maybe I am just used to seeing it that way, but it seemed I have seen a lot more shore along the road to the state park on the north side. Mind you it isn't high, but not real low either. That doesn't mean it might not be hard to launch.

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

[edit]Please do not print derby information without permission from the administration of the Sniffer. MM[/edit]
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

As I've stated previously, you can use either license anywhere on the lake and that includes the two-rod stamp. * If you have a Nevada license you do not have to display it anywhere on the lake. *Fisherman need not be concerned with any state lines on this lake. *The cooperative agreement between California and Nevada says that all regulations that pertain to the license you posess are honored by both states on the entire lake. *It just makes sense:*It would be difficult to enforce regs on one side of the lake or the other. *http://www.ndow.org/law/regs/fishregs/24_31.pdf
    http://www.ndow.org/law/regs/fishregs/index.shtm

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast