Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: crab pots per person

You are right, but I only have 8 so I am safe either way. I used to have 10 until I tried to crab with them on a windy day and lost 2 :'(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdecker
    Look at 29.80 under the regs, 10 baited per boat for crabs, 5 for lobster. *10 is a lot to be hauling around per boat.
    You might want to re-read the regs again at sec. 29.80.Its no more than 10 baited hoop nets (crab loop traps)per boat and 5 for lobster.Their is a diffrence between a hoop net (crab loop traps)with 6 *loops than a crab trap with 2 circular openings of not less than four and one quarter inches inside diameter no less lower than 5 inches from the top of the trap.As Tee707 and aledwards said too that their is no limit on the number of crab pots for a private boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I posted the email reply from Fish and Game that states no limits on pots. I then called and talked to a person and they said the same thing. I brought up the regs they said traps not pots.

Post Thanks / Like

Look at 29.80 under the regs, 10 baited per boat for crabs, 5 for lobster. 10 is a lot to be hauling around per boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aledwards
    There is no restiction on number of pots for sport crabbing, unless it's a party boat. (60) Also party boat dung crab limit is 6 per instead of 10. DFG regs do say that sport crab pots do need two 4" escape rings. (for shorties) You do not have to use 'rotten cotten' on the lid but is is a good idea. If your line or float break free and you lose your pot, it keeps on catching. The cotton twine on the lid will rot after a while and allow the crabs to escape from the abandoned pot. Be sure and use plenty of weight. Pots will move pretty good in a big swell. Every year guys howl their gear is 'stolen'. Most cases their pots have walked in the swell, and they can go a long ways. If they walk into deeper water your floats go under and you wont find them. I run 30lbs of lead in mine. Mark your floats well with CF number and name. - Al
    all very good info

Post Thanks / Like

There is no restiction on number of pots for sport crabbing, unless it's a party boat. (60) Also party boat dung crab limit is 6 per instead of 10. DFG regs do say that sport crab pots do need two 4" escape rings. (for shorties) You do not have to use 'rotten cotten' on the lid but is is a good idea. If your line or float break free and you lose your pot, it keeps on catching. The cotton twine on the lid will rot after a while and allow the crabs to escape from the abandoned pot. Be sure and use plenty of weight. Pots will move pretty good in a big swell. Every year guys howl their gear is 'stolen'. Most cases their pots have walked in the swell, and they can go a long ways. If they walk into deeper water your floats go under and you wont find them. I run 30lbs of lead in mine. Mark your floats well with CF number and name. - Al

Post Thanks / Like

i always thought its 10 pots or trap. so can i put 15 traps onboard!

Post Thanks / Like

The email is from dfg and said For a PRIVATE recreational boat, you may possess however many crab traps you can handle. I also followed it up with a call to bodega dfg and they said no limits on pots.

Post Thanks / Like

tee, I also think it is 10 pots per boat too.

Post Thanks / Like

thats 10 dun. 35 red rock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast