Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RolandMartinJr.

Re: Draining San Pablo Res. ?

There are actually stellhead still surviving in the San Leandro Resevoir. If you look on the East bay mud website they tell you some of the history. They have ladders built in some of the creeks which allow them to spawn. I've caught several of these steelhead while fishing for bass in the past. They are very strong and full of energy, a lot of fun to catch.

Post Thanks / Like

B_S the water in Briones flows there by gravity from Pardee through the Mokleumne Aqueducts (no pumps) and yes there are some monster trout in there. There could also be some sturgies as there are still some in Pardee (or were ten years ago).

I wouldn't be caught trespassing on protected watersheds now days though. It's a big fine and possible jail time. In light of recent events, all water supply reseviors are patrolled regularly and most all trespassers are cited. It ain't no game any more with the new terror laws and most of those guys with the enviable job of patrolling those watersheds need to show results in order to keep their staffing and equipment justified.

Steelhead in Upper San Leandro...I doubt it. It's a long dry walk up from the Bay to the lake and no releases are made for a fish to even get to the base of the dam by swimming. None of the EBMUD lakes in CC county are on watersheds that would have supported steelhead migrations before they were dammed with the possible exception of San Pablo.

Never under estimate the powers of Mother Nature for species to survive and prosper. All those stripers in the Ca Aqueduct out in the Antelope Valley came from fry or eggs that survived the 1900 ft (820 psi) lift up and across the Tehatchapis.

Post Thanks / Like

We're talking the remotest of remote chances with that one. I've hiked most of the watersheds in CoCo and I wouldn't peg Briones or any of it's trib's as very good spawning habitat... Believe me, I'd like to think it were true...

RolandMartinJr.

There are native steelheads in the San Leandro Resevoir. There could be some in the Briones as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Briones water doesn't come from Shasta, and that's a fact. If there are trout in there, they came from Pardee, if anywhere. Now, all anyone has to do is tell me how those fish survived two pumps and a trip across the Valley in a pipe... Maybe the trout are illegal intros. Only option.

BTW, sturgeon swim in Shasta... Any in Briones?

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of trout in Briones. This info comes from friends of mine with the EBRP Helicopter squad. Steve tells me that they bust people fishing Briones every day of the week and there are lots of big trout in there. There really is no way for fish to find there way into SP from there but wouldn't it be great if they opened it to fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

8)little secret every fish that swims in shasta swims in briones but bigger.. :o 8)

Post Thanks / Like

Briones drains into San Pabb- no trout in it. I've heard tell of some big momma bucketmouths, but that's it...

RolandMartinJr.

So do those fish get drained into Briones and never return once the lake refills? Put on the camo and hit up Briones once that happens.

badbobfishing33

Russian River

And you finnaly got a nice fish too in May....! still did not catch as many as me...LOL .....maybe we will have to try it again ??? ;D ::) :P ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast