Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eagle Lake report 8/14-19

Hey Scooter...I remember you. We were in the rental house...the ones (probably the loud ones) throwing the washer and golfball games on the front lawn all week long.

I make 2 week-long trips a year up there. One in August with the family and one in November with a bunch of guys. Always stay in the same place there either at the house or the studio depending on how many people are with us.

My oh my how I do love that place.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey MGood777,
    We ran into each other at the Fish Cleaning Station. I was in the Coachman 5'er accross from Steve. Was with my wife and daughter. We fished with Lou and Diane who were parked right next to Steve.

Anyway, we had similar results fishing Eagle's Nest real early then moving to Wildcat, Pelican, Shrimp etc to finish off limits. We trolled worms out 3 colors in the early morning and Orange/White Apexes downrigged 30' to 40' after 8:00 AM. My first trip to Eagle and had a great time! Limits of 2 to 3 lb fish every day. I took my 7 y/o daughter to the marina and fished off the break for her first 2 fish ever :D That alone made the whole trip worth it!

At the marina I noticed several water snakes of some type feeding on the chub minnows. They looked like a Garter snake but we stayed away as not sure what they were. Kind of neat to watch them though. And my 7 y/o didn't get bored when not catching fish ;D

Post Thanks / Like

MGood777,

Great report! :D I'd like to sleep in too rather than be on the lake at the crack of dawn but I'm afraid with no moon that there will be an early bite and I'll be getting up a O-Dark-30! :-[

Wbob and River Rat I'll be there from the 1st through the 5th. I'm staying in the Spaulding area. I have a gray 18' Fisher with a maroon bimini top. I have my "stars" on my boat and have a marine radio that will be tuned to channel 69. So give me a holler or say hi if you see me! If I don't see you I'll try to stop by your campground to say hi!

Can't wait to hook into a big Eagle Lake trout! ;D

OTDRSMN

Post Thanks / Like

River_Rat
    I'll look for you. I have a 19' Gray Lund I/O with a merc Pro Kicker. If the fishing isn't good around the marina & over toward Merril I'll head up to Shrimp Island...
    Will be staying in Eagle Campground #42
    Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

wbob,
    Yep, I'll be in a green 16' Lund probably over off of Shrimp Island. Staying Eagle campground group #2, over near the marina.

Post Thanks / Like

River_Rat
    MGood, great report. I'll be headed up there Labor Day weekend
    I'll be up there on the 29th for 3 weeks....Do you have [glb]"Stars"[/glb]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstressor
    There were only a couple of boats fishing Shrimp Island when we were up there last weekend. Eagle's Nest was jammed.
    I saw that too. Not a lot of those people made their way to the west side of the lake. Seems like it was a very early bite at Eagles Nest last week, but even on the days when we were out until 10:00 or 10:30 there was still a lot of action that time of day at Shrimp Island.

For River_Rat...

The morning we bobber fished we had all 4 poles at 35 feet and it worked like a charm.

Post Thanks / Like

There were only a couple of boats fishing Shrimp Island when we were up there last weekend. Eagle's Nest was jammed.

Post Thanks / Like

MGood, great report. I'll be headed up there Labor Day weekend. I do alot of bobber fishing up there but I try to stay away from the Eagle Nest crowd, around Shrip Island or Wildcat area. How deep of water and at what depth were you bobber fishing?
    I remember about 10 to 15 years ago Shrimp Island was the armada of boats, then they moved to the springs and very few fish the other side now.

Post Thanks / Like

Eagle Lake report 8/14-19

Got into Spaulding on Sat afternoon last weekend and fished Sunday-Friday.

First 5 days trolled nothing but nightcrawlers around Shrimp Island and did really great. Had limits for 2-4 people (depending on whether the wives came out) never any later than 10:30 every morning (and we're late starters...didn't get lines in the water until 6:15). On a couple of mornings when it was just the 2 of us we were done within an hour and back at the dock by 7:30.

Seems like 95% our fish were caught 32-38 feet deep in 55-60 feet of water. Trolled worms as slow as possible at 0.5-1.0 mph. We had at least one double hook up every morning. The sweet spot was back and forth in front of shrimp island, maybe 100 yards on either side of it and about 300 yards off the shoreline just where it drops off to 60 feet.

On Day 5 we got creative and fished needlefish on one pole. Got a lot of action that day on the #2 size orange needlefish with the silver holographic tape on front and the gold back (don't know what they call that one).

On Day 6 we went out with a couple of friends of ours, Steve & Sue Williams, who have been fishing the lake for 20 years and who just started guiding the lake this year (S&S Guide Service). They had no paying customers that day so we got to tag along in exchange for the wives cooking up a nice big breakfast later on.

I've never really been a big fan of bobber fishing, so I told Steve I wanted him to show me his favorite bobber hole. We headed over to Eagles Nest and threaded our way through the fleet to get to one very specific point where Steve says you are sitting directly on top of one of the springs. There were 4 of us that morning and we had all 8 fish, losing 2 more along the way, in 55 minutes. The boats around us must have been scratching their heads and wondering what in the world we were doing differently. It was cool to see so much action on the boat in such a short period of time. I hope somebody saw the action and Steve gets some business out of it.

All were good quality fish all week long. Good color and nice firm meat. Very few were less than 2 pounds. Most in the 2.5 to 3.5 pound range. Two 4 pounders for the week.

It was like November fishing up there. I've never seen so much action for August.