Thread: The Drama!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Drama!

Thanks for the updates Cal, I was a bit thrown off by the beginning stages of the VBulletin but I have to say it's coming together with new things being added daily. You think us fisherman would have some patience
    I think a fitting quote for all of us to remember would be "The pain of change is the price of success"

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: The Drama!

Hi Cal, You want to fish for halibut. I heard there is a pritty good bite up the sac river. I think thats in your neck of the woods if i am correct. Anyway tight lines and good to see you at the sportsman show and keep up the good work.

Post Thanks / Like

Don is 100% correct...If you want to be here we are glad to have you....If you want to me a member of several different forums, good for you!...If you don't like it here, you can leave, but I hope few folks make that choice. We are first and foremost about fishing....If you love to fish this is where you belong and we love having you around!

As far as banned members coming back, yes that is one of the benefits that came with switching forum providers....We are looking to the future....We are not petty and are certainly not going back and seeking out banned folks so we can re-ban them....

If you come back and behave, you will always be welcome...Guys or gals that play the fool will soon be identified and removed from the forums.....In my experience since taking over the site last summer, very few folks actually need to be booted....A simple exchange of emails typically gets everyone on the same page and the problem is solved.....

To Don and all the other mods I'd like to state how great a job you've done. Our forum are a lot less restrictive and we have far less problems than we had prior to last summer...It is due in large part to your even tempers and hard work...Thanks a bunch...It is nice to know that the forums are in good dependable hands when I am not on line!....Keep up the good work....Cal

Post Thanks / Like

For all that felt or feel the SNIFFER is done for,SORRY,it will become the leader in fishing websites,once our webmaster gets all the bugs worked out,you will be part of the newest most advanced fishing website in the World,one that others can only hope to copy,the change that happened here an the problems with it only occured because the old site was about to collapse an the move had to be made prematurely before all the details etc.were in place,now they are being dealt with,Kind of a pain but we are fisherpeople an patience is our norm,bear with us,if you can't then goodbye,you will be back anyway either as a member or lurker,either way you will always be with us,an if not oh well you will be replaced by 10 others who want to be here,An as for me personally I don't care if you have 1 or 10000 posts to your name you can be replaced,your are important to us an I hope you stay,But its your choice,so don't cry here about the change,deal with it an be happy,the best is yet to come,one last note to many of you who were banned on the old board I see your back now,I myself will Allow this,I can't speak for other Mods,many of you were good people an messed up,we're all human an mistakes were made,so follow the rules an enjoy the Sniffer again,mess up an you will be dealt with,based on our new way of doing things,warnings,points,etc. ect.it's all explained in the new rules section.At this time I have allowed MOOC to rejoin us he was a pest but a very lovable guy full of Qs and advice welcome back Mooc,BE GOOD Don

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the sound advice MoMoney.....Your comments have sparked my desire to comment....

I'm passionate about the Fish Sniffer, so I'm going to toss out some comments, actually state some facts.....

First let me say that here at the Fish Sniffer we value all of the folks that read and subscribe to the print edition and we value all of our forum members and web browsers...Along these same lines we value all of our print and web advertisers that provide the funds that make everything we do possible and encourage our readers to make use of our advertisor's services as a way of supporting all the things the Fish Sniffer does.....

The Fish Sniffer Magazine is second to none on the West Coast when it comes to covering both the saltwater and freshwater fishing scenes....Whether it is reports, fishing stories, how to's, breaking news or conservation we take a back seat to no one....

The Fish Sniffer website is one of the biggest and best fishing website in the entire world. Here on the West Coast there is only one other website located in the Pacific Northwest that is similar to the Fish Sniffer in terms of size and influence....

Here in the state of California no fishing website new or old comes close to us. For example during the month of January we had more than 30,000 unique visitors on our site and that came on the heels of major changes at the website that actually impacted our number of visitors.

When we looked at the numbers generated by an upstart website that has done everything possible to imitate the Fish Sniffer website, recruit new members, encourage Fish Sniffer members to drop the Fish Sniffer in favor of their site and have boldly made use of Fish Sniffer content, the comparison is stark. With all this wheeling and dealing and monkey business how many unique visitors dropped in on our "competition" during the first month of 2010....Was it 20K people?...No....

15K?.....No

10K?....Guess again....

Well they had at least 5,000 visits...didn't they?...No lower still...

Not 4K or 3K.....they had about 2,000 unique vistors based on published data....

That's right the Fish Sniffer generated 30,000 unique visitors, while the so called "competition" drew in about 2,000 unique visitors....That means that for every person that visited our "competition", 15 visited the Fish Sniffer Website....

Why is this? Well first and foremost it speaks to the loyalty of the Fish Sniffer community...and it also demonstrates the power of the Fish Sniffer. When it comes to the West Coast fishing scene the Fish Sniffer brings with it a level of knowledge and in depth coverage that is often imitated, but never duplicated and the fishing community at large recognizes this....

When our forums went down to make the switch from the old Yabb system to V-Bulletin this week I got some emails from users in full blown panic (which in and of itself is a testament to the popularity of our site. After all if folks didn't care about us deeply would they bother to compose an email? I think not) most were worried that there was a problem, but some of our detractors (and whenever you are on top of the mountain in a public arena there will be detractors) took the opportunity to spread the word about the "death of the Fish Sniffer"...."They're on their last leg" the detractors said....

Ha Ha Ha Ha.....

"On our last leg"....? If we want to use the leg analogy....I would say that the Fish Sniffer is on four legs...Four strong legs galloping into the future....I'm picturing Secretariat at the Belmont Stakes in the final seconds before winning the Triple Crown....The competition is already 20 links in the dust, yet as the stallion is coming down the home stretch the jockey is putting the whip to him, opening the lead even more and sending a message to all the would be competitors and imitators en route to a record finish....

I've got to jump...Afterall there are fish to be caught, but in closing I'd like to thank all of our supporters once again....Thanks for sticking with the Sniffer and enjoy our new forums...Have we gotten all the bugs worked out yet? No...But I think that all the folks that look around objectively will recognize the potential that Duane and the rest of team Fish Sniffer envisions...It is change and we do have to learn a new system, but once we get comfortable and look back we'll agree that the benefits out weigh the problems we experienced....

My partners and I are 100% committed to driving the Fish Sniffer. Our goal is to mold the Fish Sniffer into the West Coast's one and only total media outdoor company covering fishing and hunting, in print, on the web, on DVD and on television.

All of you are part of the Fish Sniffer family...Hang on and enjoy the ride as we whip this winner into the future!

Cal Kellogg....

Post Thanks / Like

MoMoney + 1 good advice. Don

Post Thanks / Like

The Drama!

I thought this site had mostly fisherman but seems many ladies found their way to the forums and brought their drama here also.Its just a forum,only down a couple days has some issues.Deal with it.This is fishin,actually (talkin about fishin) not life or death.We will all get through this guys.Dont know whats goin on here,dont know why so many jumped ship to the other place,dont care either.Been here a while,plan on stayin a while and just lookin for some nice saltwater posts bout some halibut action and maybe some salmon action soon.Hopefully will contribute some posts about me doin a little fishin also!Until then,Have a cold one wet a line for a day or 2 come back and it will be all better!!