Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need to know something?

Does anyone know where to find anything written on "Trolling Etiquitte for the fisherman, pleasure boater, and water skier, etc."?

Until this book happens, you just have to bite your tongue, you cant teach them all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishing925 View Post
    Like you all said these guys dont know anything about trolling, all they they know is that the fish are out and they think that they can put any lure behind there boat and take it for a troll. There's a lot more to this people. Lets use ''Common sense''.
    "Common sense"
    That trait is almost "extinct" now a days with the "entitlment" mentality of people today!! Next weekend is the ATT Striper Derby and my son and I go every year, but we have noticed the ski boats most of the time have absolutely no resect for fisherman as they go where ever they please...full bore.

Wildturkey

Post Thanks / Like

At $15 a pop, I'm backing down on the snag. There's some submerged pilings on the West Bank that were holding quite a few fish and consequently 3 of my Yo Zuri's.

Post Thanks / Like

What are you supposed to do if you get snagged and there's a boat coming up behind you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler1 View Post
    The surest way to loose a fish, is to try & tow it out of someone else's way, it's up to them to get away from you, not you get away from them.
    The person with the fish on, has the right of way, no if's an's or but's about it.
    If your shallow trolling on the West bank, with boats all over you, & you hook a fish & try & get it to deep water, all you do is block everyone [ deep & shallow ] & your gonna get your line cut or cause a major pile up of boats that can't get by.
    If it's possible, yes, try it, but not with other boats coming up behind you, or in front of you.
    When your in heavy traffic & hook a fish, just go to neutral & point at the fish your fighting, that way the other boats know where your fish is, & not go over your line.
    Sal
    I personally have lost fish while trying to move my boat outside the trolling lane so others could pass freely without interrupting their opportunity to get bit, too. So I believe there is great merit in Whaler 1's advice. That said, I definitely will now stand my ground and not move when I know I'm playing a big fish. But when the vast majority of strikes are coming from cookie-cutter stripers of the 20 inch variety, like has been the case so far this spring, I try to move out of the lane when hooked up with such a fish so as to not disrupt the traffic flow. I appreciate everyone's input regarding this matter. In the future it will be a judgment call for me, not an automatic pull-out.
    Last edited by Polebrother; 04-14-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: add phrase

In fishing, I throw myself away and find myself again and again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Need to know something?

The surest way to loose a fish, is to try & tow it out of someone else's way, it's up to them to get away from you, not you get away from them.
    The person with the fish on, has the right of way, no if's an's or but's about it.
    If your shallow trolling on the West bank, with boats all over you, & you hook a fish & try & get it to deep water, all you do is block everyone [ deep & shallow ] & your gonna get your line cut or cause a major pile up of boats that can't get by.
    If it's possible, yes, try it, but not with other boats coming up behind you, or in front of you.
    When your in heavy traffic & hook a fish, just go to neutral & point at the fish your fighting, that way the other boats know where your fish is, & not go over your line.
    Sal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aka Seon View Post
    Tuning to the channel center is two fold..one that was mentioned is that it tells others you have fish on. The second is itputs you in deeper water preventing you from drifting onto the bank.
    The deep diver trollers will know to give you ample room...at least they should .
    +1 The best method is as Seon described. If you hookup in the trolling lane if at all possible turn your boat toward deeper water to allow others to continue their troll.. with the realization that most fish caught on the troll these days are under ten pounds pulling out of the trolling lane shouldn't be a major problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously you haven't seen bank combat. It's worst than boating combat.
    Yeah I tend to stay away from crowds and fish private areas you need permission to access...

Senior Member FishItswuts4dinner's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PorterO View Post
    all these stories make me glad im a bank fisherman...
    Obviously you haven't seen bank combat. It's worst than boating combat.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't troll and only anchor to bait fish.... how do I know if I am anchoring in a trolling lane?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast