Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: San Luis/O'neill Forebay Reports?

Quote Originally Posted by offTopic View Post
    I've gone three times in the last two weeks...
    <snip>

Hit Check 12 again today with frozen sardines caught on the Capitola Wharf last week. On the water by 7a, weeded out some shakers, and had two keepers by 11:30a. Some weather moving in, though, so I don't know if the bite will keep up.

Post Thanks / Like

The fishing here at San Luis has not been good for about 5 years. I used to go out there and get my limit of 20 pound fish all of the time. What happened. We used to fish potuguese cove and the trash racks with jumbo minno's and chovies. Now you are lucky if you even get a bite.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what happened to all the bigger fishes here. 3 or 4 years ago, I would park at the Romero Visitor's point and walk down we fished blood worms during the late afternoon and always come home limits for a few months straight and then the water got drained and that was it. Last week I drove by on my way to SoCal and noticed the water level is very nice. I'm tempting to bring my boat out there again.

Heck I even caught limits at Dinosaur point ramp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Canoefish View Post
    So odd to see a group of fishermen on here clamoring for an opportunity to support their fishery through the DFG. Seems like all people can ever do any more is complain that they don't get more for their money.

Kudos to you guys. Any way you slice it, the right to fish is a bargain. The gear is what kills the budget...
    you bet bring the stamps bring the bens......stock san luis/o'neil forebay, milerton, hogan. there is really no better fish and there is plenty of fisherman who would pay for the stamp and then some.

i have no problem catching lots of different fish all sizes.....i dont need all that expensive gear.....most of my line is omniflex cheaper rods and diawa reels purchased from wall mart. i do have the expensive stuff but really i dont need to use it....i purchased alot of the equipment when i thought thats what you had to have. serious try omniflex line for bait soaking it is one tuff line

Post Thanks / Like

So odd to see a group of fishermen on here clamoring for an opportunity to support their fishery through the DFG. Seems like all people can ever do any more is complain that they don't get more for their money.

Kudos to you guys. Any way you slice it, the right to fish is a bargain. The gear is what kills the budget...

Post Thanks / Like

Last I was out there was probably late January, soaked choves and drifted jumbo minnows with no luck. Haven't been since. I've actually had more luck by the bridge on the shore than on my boat. Maybe there's a way we can start a petition to start whatever you guys are talking about back up, those were before my days. Because I don't mind paying either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieJed View Post
    about 32 striper's in the lake and about 17 in the forebay.....bring the cages back and raise some fish get the striper stamp going again.....who was the mud whistle that stopped that; that dumb piece of work.

CJ
    Yeah.. i miss those days when striper bites was off the hook. As a kid growing up, i've caught some of the biggest striper i can remember. Now and days, it's so hard to even catch a keeper. I remember those pens, they use to be big girls looming around those pens in the forebay. Bring back the stamp, i dont mind paying the extra for years and years of fun for me and my kids......FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the nice updates, I haven't been to san luis/o'neill forebay since I was a little kid with my father, but anyways what areas are best suited for bank/bait fishing? What baits are they hitting on besides sardines? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT Report. Nice first post. This is a great site to share info. Enjoy your time here.

Post Thanks / Like

I've gone three times in the last two weeks, all at Check 12. The weather on 4/27 was pretty bad...windy, raining, and I saw a few fish being brought up, but only managed one small striper that was way undersized, using frozen anchovies.

On 5/3, the water was significantly lower, and I landed 4 fish which were all almost exactly the same size, in the 15" range, all released, on frozen sardines (from the first bait shop as you approach Santa Nella).

On 5/10, I landed 6 fish, and took 2 keepers in the 19-20" range, again on frozen sardines. There was pretty steady action throughout the day, and it looked like quite a few fish were landed by others fishing there, as well.

IMO, if you're going to fish cut bait, you should use a big circle hook, at least 2/0 or 3/0 or bigger. I started off using 1/0, and a couple of fish were still gutted where I cut the leader, but with the 3/0, they get hooked right in the corner of the mouth.

Some guys on the 10th were also getting action on topwater plugs, and there were some big carp (I'm assuming they were carp) jumping all over the place, which makes it very relaxing. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast