Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to buy my First Kayak - Suggestions for Beginners?

I own a scrambler xt and a scupperpro tw. Each boat has it's benies. After testing the perception pescador at $599 this will most likely be my next yak. It's basically an older Tarpon but much cheaper in price. Like the Tarpon it combines a bit of speed, stability and gear storage. Internal gear storage is a MUST! I fish some really out of the way areas where the fishing is so unreal I can limit in 10 minutes flat. I'm not talking little dinks, I talking doubles of 5-7lb rocks bending that ugly stick in half. Most of these fish have never seen a lure and I've caught huge blacks and blues on just a hook... ya a hook. But launching and birthing from these areas is anything but easy. so you need a boat you can move around in the wash and with sufficient room for all my gear secured nicely in the hatch. So make sure you choose something with internal storage cause you never know where you might take the next digger in a wave.

I've included some info for ya and good luck!

CONFLUENCE WATERSPORTS Pescador Sit-on-Top Kayak at West Marine

Pescador Kayak by Perception - Product Reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueorbital View Post
    I do have one other question, when going out for the first time what kind of things should I be looking for? Is it easy for a kayak to be overturned. I wil be fishing in the bay, what can i use to anchor? What are the best and safest conditions to go out, and how will I know? Thanks!

hey steph,

I've been fishing on a kayak for a little over a year now and just bought my second one. before you start I would strongly suggest a safety class that will teach you the skills you need if things go bad, especially out in the ocean. that way you can practice getting back on if you fall out or worse, get flipped over. luckily, neither has happened to me yet, but I was prepared just in case. there are also places that are more mellow than others as far as launching and swell conditions, such as half moon bay, or Monterey. also, try going to a lake to practice where conditions are a lot more mellow. then you need to know about weather and swells when in the ocean. strong winds and big surf and waves don't mix well with kayaks, and the fishing will not be fun in these conditions. there are a lot of resources out there, so welcome and it is indeed an opening to many possibilities. it is not that easy to flip, but it can happen with rogue waves or if you are launching or landing in surf, etc. one more thing try to go ou with someone with experience the first time out, esp. in the ocean. there is a lot more to learn, but good luck and let me know if you have more questions.

roger

Post Thanks / Like

Basically it depends on were you are going in the bay. There are places that get windy in the afternoon, like Oyster Point, and it can be hard to paddle. The main hazard in the bay is if you launch at high tide in a place that is shallow you may have to wait until high tide to come back in, or trudge through the mud.... You shouldn't have an issue with tipping over in the bay..... As far as an anchor. I bought a 10lb. mushroom shaped one from the marine wearhouse, but I never use it. It works ok I just like to drift or troll so it is rare that I want to stay in one place.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have one other question, when going out for the first time what kind of things should I be looking for? Is it easy for a kayak to be overturned. I wil be fishing in the bay, what can i use to anchor? What are the best and safest conditions to go out, and how will I know? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Legalbeagle View Post
    I don't know everything about kayaks but when I was looking for one I figured I needed to get the best, most practical kayak I could find. I ended up gett a Hobie Outback. I've read a hundred reviews and nobody has anything bad to say. Having peddles keeps your arms free to fish and they are very stable. They weigh about 80 lbs with all the normal gear and you can wheel them down to the beach so you don't have to drag them or have another person help you carry them. They're about 13' long. I have a 2005 Tacoma. I could actually fith the kayak diagonally in the bed and it fit fine. I went and bought a truck bed extender http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Truck...Q5fAccessories. It's very practical and cheap. The thing about the Outback is, it aint cheap but it's well worth the money. You see a lot of used kayaks for sale because people get tired of them but rarely see a used Outback--people don't get tired of them.

I like the idea of having pedals. The bed extender is a definite that I will be getting. My price range is more so on the lower end so I will try my luck on a used kayak. Ill look into the Outback. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueorbital View Post
    I'm looking at buying my first kayak, it would of course have to fit the back of my 07 Tacoma Truck Bed, since I dont have a trailor. Any suggestions on the smallest size I can get but would be also good for the open ocean. Should I get a motor? What else would I need to consider? I want to fish for butts and Rock Cods, Stripers. Not sure where I would take it maybe try lakes first then go out towards Capitola, or other places I could find out about. I have never been on a boat solo, but I love being on a boat! And although Pier fishing and shore fishing has been fun, I'm itching to get out on my own kayak and discover the other possibilities out there!
    It really depends on your price range and what you are planning to do with it. I own a Tarpon and a Scrambler, and I had a Hobbie for a while. The Hobbie are pretty nice if you are trolling or touring. I kind of feel the pedals get in the way when you are trying to land a large fish, or you get into a hot bite and want to put a fish betwen your legs. I think for me atleast the Tarpon is the best buy for the price. I have fished just about every fish in Central and Nothern California from mine as it was my first kayak. I have landed 3 stripers over 45 pounds no problem. The main thing I have found about the Tarpopn is that since it is so wide for it's length it is slowwer and heavier to paddle. That said I have not caught as more fish trolling in my life then I have in my 10 foot Tarpon. The Scrambler is not as wide as the tarpon and tends to be faster, the only time I have issues with stability is landing in big surf.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't have any credible advice but here is a quote from Mike. He posted on one of my threads. Good tips ...
    Make sure to test ride one before you pull the trigger. I really wanted an O.K., but ended up going with a Malibu Mini-X because it just felt so right on the water, good fit and stability. A bit short for really long distance paddling but light and easy to load onto the roof.

Couple other things, regardless of which brand and model you go with, try to buy one at a store with a big enough inventory where you can look at a few of the same model/color. This way you can get the "pick of the litter". Check the scuppers for good form and not to much "post production" touch-up. Sometimes the plastic lays up thin on the scupper walls and after cooling they may sag or oval out a bit. You can reach inside the hull and feel for any deformities in the scuppers as well as shine a small light and look for it inside, if there are thin spots, the light will shine through like a lampshade. Also check the general shape of the hulls, the lines and the keel and try to avoid ones that are too deformed. Sometimes kayaks are just stacked on top of each other in storage and the one(s) on the bottom of the stack suffer a bit of deformation.

If you go with an O.K. there are plenty of dealers that have many in stock so you should be able to pick a good one. If the dealer needs to order one because they only have one on display or don't have the color you want, you may want to go somewhere else. It is kind of like buying shoes, you know your size, but you may need to try out several pairs before you find the ones that fit just right.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know everything about kayaks but when I was looking for one I figured I needed to get the best, most practical kayak I could find. I ended up gett a Hobie Outback. I've read a hundred reviews and nobody has anything bad to say. Having peddles keeps your arms free to fish and they are very stable. They weigh about 80 lbs with all the normal gear and you can wheel them down to the beach so you don't have to drag them or have another person help you carry them. They're about 13' long. I have a 2005 Tacoma. I could actually fith the kayak diagonally in the bed and it fit fine. I went and bought a truck bed extender http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Truck...Q5fAccessories. It's very practical and cheap. The thing about the Outback is, it aint cheap but it's well worth the money. You see a lot of used kayaks for sale because people get tired of them but rarely see a used Outback--people don't get tired of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Looking to buy my First Kayak - Suggestions for Beginners?

I'm looking at buying my first kayak, it would of course have to fit the back of my 07 Tacoma Truck Bed, since I dont have a trailor. Any suggestions on the smallest size I can get but would be also good for the open ocean. Should I get a motor? What else would I need to consider? I want to fish for butts and Rock Cods, Stripers. Not sure where I would take it maybe try lakes first then go out towards Capitola, or other places I could find out about. I have never been on a boat solo, but I love being on a boat! And although Pier fishing and shore fishing has been fun, I'm itching to get out on my own kayak and discover the other possibilities out there!