Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Herman, Benica, CA

I’ve fished there a few times recently. Got a couple each time me in the 2lb range. Nothing big

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Chabot and Herman back in the 50s and 60s. It was legal to fish Chabot and I caught some really nice bass on jigs and Sonics, Super Sonics, and Firetail Sonics. Lake Herman,at the time was supposedly Benica's water supply, so had to trespass to fish, which I did numerous times. Hope the statutes of limitations have run out by now.HA. Got caught once but Judge Swan accepted my plea of being a dumb kid. Great action with jigs and frogs in the tules. As Ike Turner used to sing , "Yes them were the goodoledays" HA

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Pintail;784836]" for some reason this fish usually have red bumps with worms coming out of it."

Sounds like my first wife

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rendar View Post
    Anyone familiar with Lake Herman just outside Benicia, CA? I found some older posts about the Lake from about 4-5 years back. They said the lake was a hidden gem for getting big LMBass.

I went out there today, theres lots of life on that lake. Alot of birds, frogs, small baitfish. But I didnt see a single fish other than the small minnows. Usually at other lakes I will atleast see a few in the water, or catch one breaking surface, or some signs.

As far as any fish bigger than a minnow the place seemed barren.

Has this lake declined or am I just missing something?
    I live right down the road and used to fish it often. It was EXTREMELY productive for LMB and I was very successful with gold crankbaits. I have not fished it in about two years but plan on heading over this weekend to see if there are any catfish in there. I will bring a bass rod and check some of the places I used to fish

Post Thanks / Like

So is there just bass in there or have you guys caught anything else out of there?
    Fish On Catch & Release- So your kids will have fish to catch one day

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught a few small to medium size fish from near the tower. My brother has caught decent fish from one of the coves on the opposite side of the lake.

Lake Chabot (near Marine World) has some huge LM in it. My brother has caught some frog fish there from a canoe. According to the lake rules, anglers are not supposed to cross the middle of the lake. I Marine World is afraid of someone sneaking in.

Post Thanks / Like

i have caught a few decent bass fishing with five inch swimbaits on the other side of the cove from the parking lot. Its shallow there so you have to rip the swimbaits kind of fast so it made for some fun fishing, this is the better side of the lake to fish when the wind is howling like it normally is.

Post Thanks / Like

" for some reason this fish usually have red bumps with worms coming out of it."

Now that's a feature.

I was in high school in Vallejo and sat next to the guy that got it from the Zodiac. David Hathway?
    I was also on the road that night, no it wasn't me.

At that time you couldn't get near the lake.

Anybody know anything about lake chabot in Vallejo?
    Last edited by Pintail; 08-13-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There are bass in there. Fish around the water tower area and along the rocks.

The cove seems productive, but I have yet to get any bass in there.

Other fish available are bullhead catfish, carp, redear sunfish/bluegill, and some kind of shiner looking thing (for some reason this fish usually have red bumps with worms coming out of it).

Post Thanks / Like

I hav'nt been there... But, most small places like that, You'll need to spend some time on.
    You would'nt believe the water where I catch 4-5-8 lbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast