Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you catch live shad?

Quote Originally Posted by BeefCakeScout View Post
    true story. You have to use your live bait where you caught it unless you bought it. Sculpins(the ones that look like bullheads, but freshwater) are pretty easy to catch. Find a place where a crawdad might hide and stick a tiny baitholder and piece of crawler in there. wait for a bump and yank. I catch them all the time with just a piece of line,hook and crawler. easier than using a rod as far as i'm concerned. As for shad, you can dip net them,but that means you gotta be near em.

BeefCakeScout are those really small. I caught some that look like mudsuckers/bullheads but they are really really small like around 1-2 inches with fat bellies.

Post Thanks / Like

Drifter....I get shad by boat docks before dawn with a long handled shad net (if they are in shallow). Other times, by boat I use a floating light at night which brings the shad up to feed on the plankton that arrive first...again, use a long handled shad net when they start to congregate under the light. It can take an hour or so for them to come up...sometimes they're not in the area and you have to pull up and move. At San Antonio Lake, I usually call the marina and ask if the shad are around at all before I make the effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DaiwaMan...Great info on the Sabiki's for shad. Are those threadfin shad you're getting with those or gizzard shad?

Post Thanks / Like

The way we all catch the Shad out in the delta is with Sabiki hooks, size 14 0r 12. Your only allowed 3 hooks per leader, $150 fine for more hooks. Someone I know just got a ticket for 4 hooks. 1/2 oz weight on the bottom of leader and just cast out and jig back. I was out there yesterday and nobody was catching any shad at all. Last month we were catching lots.

Not all colored Sabiki's work. Most of us out there use the Owner Pink Sabiki's or the Hayabusa's red and white ones.

Post Thanks / Like

true story. You have to use your live bait where you caught it unless you bought it. Sculpins(the ones that look like bullheads, but freshwater) are pretty easy to catch. Find a place where a crawdad might hide and stick a tiny baitholder and piece of crawler in there. wait for a bump and yank. I catch them all the time with just a piece of line,hook and crawler. easier than using a rod as far as i'm concerned. As for shad, you can dip net them,but that means you gotta be near em.
    I saw a fish once...

"Willing to work for fish H-man's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Threadfin shad are easiest to buy at the bait shop, the rules for catching are very strict.

Bassboy is right about using a small hook for catching mudsuckers (also known as gobies) in shallow water. My preference is to use redworms on a size 16 dry fly hook with the barb removed. Makes unhooking the bait easier. I know if you catch the bait and fish with it where caught, no problem. Put them in a bucket and drive to another spot... could be a different story. I am sure others will chime in on this sticking point DFG enforces.

Bottom line, might be less painful to just buy your bait.

Post Thanks / Like

cast nets are illegal to use in freshwater. you may dip net for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassboy209 View Post
    I double posted. Sorry
    That's not good enough! BwwAAAAHaaaHaaaa (kidding of course)

Post Thanks / Like

I double posted. Sorry
    Last edited by Marv; 11-24-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the smaller types of shad feed on plankton,.so.a cast net.for those guys and bullheads/mudsucker #10 treble hook and a small piece of a crawler of boat docks fishing piers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast