Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are crab from Pacifica safe to eat?

I normally would toss back any females , even though their legal to keep there's just not enough meat in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crab Catcher View Post
    >thank you for sharing! I just caught 3 crabs at the pier on Sunday 1/14/18. Just by looking at the crabs I knew something wasn’t right. I caught 2 females and 1 male. I brought them home alive, cooked and cleaned them. I tasted the crabs and they had a very bad taste. I mean awful! After taking pics for documentation I threw them away. I crab there often and the number of bad crabs I catch is becoming more frequent. Your thoughts???<
    I try to go crabbing once a month during the season up and down bay area spots and haven't ever had a bad one....just my 2 cents
    “Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dimpala95 View Post
    He's full of crap. I've been crabbing off the peir for years and have never had any problems or foul tasting crabs. One thing to be mindful of are red tides. They've been pretty frequent lately. You are not supposed to eat shell fish or any fish when it's a red tide.

>thank you for sharing! I just caught 3 crabs at the pier on Sunday 1/14/18. Just by looking at the crabs I knew something wasn’t right. I caught 2 females and 1 male. I brought them home alive, cooked and cleaned them. I tasted the crabs and they had a very bad taste. I mean awful! After taking pics for documentation I threw them away. I crab there often and the number of bad crabs I catch is becoming more frequent. Your thoughts???<
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

They stopped using that pipe for sewage in 2004 when they built a new water treatment plant.

Post Thanks / Like

i surf next to the pier sometimes and am always nervous one of you is going to hook me.

i think there is some truth to what that dude was saying. if you look towards the southern part of the beach when you're on the pier you will see a very large pipe which outlets to the water. i think it's for street sewer runoff and such. not positive though.

also, if you go to linda mar (taco bell beach) and walk to the very southern end, there is a creek flowing into the ocean. there are signs posted that that creek water is polluted.

also, us surfers aren't supposed to surf after the first rains due to runoff. i would imagine all that crap isn't good for fish and crabs.

just my $.03

6. Likes reeltor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt eat them, but if you' d like you could send them to me &amp; I ll eat 1 half just to make sure they re ok and then you can have the other half back. ;D

Post Thanks / Like

NO they are very bad. Don't even chance it. Please collect all the dungies you can after Nov and keep on ice. Then call me and I will come to pick up and depose of said nasty crabs. ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys, I figured he was full of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I eat the crabs there all the time, but if someone was going to ask if they were safe to eat I would say no... more for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup - I think season opens in November.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast