Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Rod guide problems

The guides on your rod are good the best thing to do for the finish is wash the rod with hot water and dish soap. I wash them in the shower use a wash cloth or soft hand brush be thorough. Then set them out to dry. Do not laugh at the next part because it works. Spray alot of lemon fresh aerosol Pledge (outside of your house) on a clean cotton rag an old teeshirt works great. Wipe the rod down thoroughly from tip to butt cap then wipe with a new dry cotton rag to absorb anything that is left. Buff with cotton rag. Rod will look good again. I wash mine after every outing yes it takes time but I have rods over 20 that still look really good. The pledge part you can do every other trip just do it when they loose their luster. Any questions or concerns call me. 707-430-3941
    Thank you. Victor
    Last edited by vicscustomrods; 03-04-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rod guide problems

Victor,
    I have a couple of CalStar Grafighter rods with a ?wire? guide that has ?ceramic? looking inserts are these the good ones? Also the finish on the rod themselves are getting pretty dull, is there any product to help shine up these beauties? Thanks
    Tightlines ..... Rockezra ..... Blue/White Custom Weld 75 Merc Optimax .....

Post Thanks / Like

rod guide problems

I am reposting this for some reason it will not let me edit my last post. Now it does so I deleted the previous post sorry.

Took in 2 new jobs today for Sturgeon rods with the discount they are swimming away. If you snooze you loose. Victor

My shop rate is not set in stone. A single guide repair can be as cheap as $5.00 and go up from there. Alot of the repairs the parts cost more than the repair. I do not post rates because each job is different. I will be honest with you I am not the cheapest, but I am always fair and willing to work with people. Lets say I have a broken rod in the shop with good guides on it and you need one of them well the only thing that the repair is gonna cost you is some minimal labor cost. The part did not cost me anything so why charge for it if it was a gift to me. Speaking of that we love broke rods and old rods for parts so do not throw them away donate them to our shop to help out fellow fisherman. Many times the guides on a broke rod are not available and can be used again for a repair with the customers approval. Hope this answers your question.

Here is your first special for the month of March.

Any new custom rod ordered by the 14th of March we will give a 25% discount

My wife is gonna beat me. You know I might like that!
    This is limited to the first 10 orders we take.

Our grand opening will be in the beginning of April so watch for the date.

Contact me at 1-707-430-3941 Anytime for parts service repair or customs. Our policy is if you can't do right don't do it at all.
    Last edited by vicscustomrods; 03-04-2011 at 12:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aka Seon View Post
    Hey Vic,

To cut to the chase, on the average rod...say on an Ugly Stik, what would be the cost to replace one guide? Maybe a "laundry" list that list your based labor rate plus cost of a guide (which would vary). Or offer a "Special" for the first 5 customer...word of mouth from a very satisfied member would draw more business your way.
    I don't need any work done, but by posting an average cost or offer a limited time Special, IMO, may give an individual the "warm & fuzzy" to pull the trigger to call you.
    +1
    I concur
    Retirement is just fun, just rippensomelips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vicscustomrods View Post
    I hope this is how I can respond to the post on the rod reel and repair forum. ... we would re-wrap the rod to look just like it did from the factory but with better guides and make you a good deal just to help get the word out about how good of a job our business performs...

Victor
    Hey Vic,

To cut to the chase, on the average rod...say on an Ugly Stik, what would be the cost to replace one guide? Maybe a "laundry" list that list your based labor rate plus cost of a guide (which would vary). Or offer a "Special" for the first 5 customer...word of mouth from a very satisfied member would draw more business your way.
    I don't need any work done, but by posting an average cost or offer a limited time Special, IMO, may give an individual the "warm & fuzzy" to pull the trigger to call you.

Post Thanks / Like

Rod guide problems

I hope this is how I can respond to the post on the rod reel and repair forum. If it is not please just PM me the correct way to respond to their post.

So here goes.
    I do not build rods with wire guides for a reason. You will not see a rod come out of our shop with wire guides that is a custom. My memory is getting bad so I had me wife go through more than half the builds we have on file which is alot and as far as we can tell we have not ever built a rod for a customer with wire guides in more than 15 years. Yes we repair them for people with wire guides to match what they have but never on a custom we build. Now that I say that someone will request one. We will do our best to convince the person to buy good guides with high quality inserts. If we cannot get the person to see the light we politely send the person away. I do not want to see the rod after we build it again especially for guide failure. We get them back occasionally for restoration as with the 49er rod on Flash Fishings boat and it will look and fish great again. Just alittle information it takes longer to do a restoration than it does to build a new rod. The reason we are doing a restoration is the blanks are no longer available and they are the best for sturgeon fishing. If you buy quality the first time you will save in the long run. Allot of manufactures build great blanks but in my opinion they skimp on the second most important part and that is the guides. If you want a high quality job with good guides let me know. The other option is fix the guides that are broke with the same guides wrapped with the same thread they use and we would see you back in lets say 2 years or sooner on other guides to fix the same problem again. If you do the math at one guide at a time at say $20.00 a repair times 10 thats $200.00 large for a a fix on a $225.00 rod. Well a custom would be less and guide repair due to manufacture failure would be fixed at no charge. If you contact me we would re-wrap the rod to look just like it did from the factory but with better guides and make you a good deal just to help get the word out about how good of a job our business performs. My contact information is on the boards. Contact me tell me what rod you have, how many guides, what you fish for and we could get you a quote right away and you do not even have to bring me the rod. As they say just a phone call away. With that note good night.

Victor
    Last edited by vicscustomrods; 03-02-2011 at 12:31 AM.