Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEED INFO TOMALES FISHIN?

Quote Originally Posted by doneli
    i went to tomales bay on friday but i couldn't make it past the oyster farm :)...the day was beautyful and the oysters were great....delicious...
    if the fishing is not good * try the oyster farms....
    * * good luck
    the agreement i have with my wife when i go salmon fishing is that i'm not allowed to come home empty handed. so if i get skunked, i have to stop at hog island oysters on my way back and pick up a bag of 50 kumamotos.

;D

Post Thanks / Like

i went to tomales bay on friday but i couldn't make it past the oyster farm :)...the day was beautyful and the oysters were great....delicious...
    if the fishing is not good try the oyster farms....
    good luck

-doneli-

Post Thanks / Like

not muchin there now but take some salmon fillets or pieces or squid , mack, sardines. from nick cove go across to other side a little south of hog island there is a channel marker from the marker south is a deep hole 25 to 56 ft. deepest about a 100 yds. or south of marker good area for sharks 7 gills are around there now salmon works best or a fillet sand shark. Leopards are in that area also salmon or squid for bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago we launched the Bayrunner (19’ open) at Nick’s to do a little shark fishing. Low tide was about 1:00 and rather then leaving early we decided to wait it out until it came back up. That decision turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes I’ve ever made on the water. Shortly after low tide the wind came up and just kept getting worse and worse. We anchored up in the cove at Sacramento landing until about 3:30 then headed back. Once we were in the channel, with the strong headwind and big rollers it was so bad I couldn’t do any more then about 3 knots without the danger of center-punching a wave. The Bayrunner is actually pretty sea worthy for a 19’ and we’ve been in some pretty sloppy stuff in the ocean but this time I was truly scared.
    When we were in site of Nick’s you could see that there was no way a boat could be loaded, the waves and wind were so bad so we headed back up stream not know where we were even going at that point. We ended up pulling into a fairly sheltered cove at Marconi where we found the old dirt ramp next to the store. We had to hitch a ride back to Nick’s to get the trailer but managed to load it pretty easy. When we got to Nick’s it was so windy the water was blowing up on the cars in the parking lot.
    Fortunately that was the only time I’ve failed to make it back to the ramp.
    GC

Post Thanks / Like

If your boat is small and light you might make it out of Nick's cove at low tide by poling throught 20 feet of mud. I'd plan my trip on a rising tide and get back before it gets below 2 feet.

Post Thanks / Like

i haven't seen any boats even trying yet. as redwine said, halibut has been slow inside the bay for a couple years now ... but three years ago it was wide open for months. so you never know. lawson's is a good alternative to nicks cove for launching ... deep steep sand. lots of current though.

Post Thanks / Like

Redwine quote

"If your going to launch out of Nick's Cove and ahven't before, be sure to stay to the left side of Hog Island as you leave the boat ramp until you hit the deep channel on the far side of the bay. It gets very shallow very fast on the right side (Bodega side) after leaving the ramp. "

Also if your boat is medium sized and up you better check the tides. I went there once and could not launch at all. The last several years have been slow for the butts in Tomales. When I go to the local bait store I see pictures of guys with 20+ fish on a single trip out of Tamolas. I think this use to be a while back but I'm not sure how quickly they could replenish their numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Foresthill,

I don't believe any halibut have moved into Tomales yet. I go out there every few weeks and haven't hooked a good game fish yet.

In a month or so it should start to heat up.

If your going to launch out of Nick's Cove and ahven't before, be sure to stay to the left side of Hog Island as you leave the boat ramp until you hit the deep channel on the far side of the bay. It gets very shallow very fast on the right side (Bodega side) after leaving the ramp.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

NEED INFO TOMALES FISHIN?

:)Well headin down the the next weekend to fish Tomales any updates on the bite would be great Foresthill fishin 8-)