Post Thanks / Like

Re: Folsom Lake: Recomendations, tactics, and strategery

This is a VERY typical pattern for Folsom. Sometimes on an overcast day you will get an extra hour or two, but usually the bite just shuts off a couple of hours after sunrise. You'll see tons of fish on the fishfinder, and can toss everything in the tackle box at them, but all you manage to do is waste fuel :) Glad you got out and caught some fish!

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like I had a similar day to yours on Monday, good thing I got there a bit early. Ended up getting on the lake with our poles in the water at 0645, and sure enough 15 minutes later I got a strong hit and bite. The fish was hooked good, and surfaced three times after hitting my rainbow trout countdown rapala. Turned out to be a beautiful small mouth bass that fought like a champion! After another 15 minutes a small rainbow hooked in (about 14"), and another pne of the same size about a half hour after that. All of'em hit my sinking rapala in the 8-10' depth, and at this point in the game I'm thinking it going to be a good morning. After about 8 am however, nothing would hook in. We got a few more nibbles on a kastmaster and a black 'n gold rapala, but it was pretty miserable fishin after that intial hour. Fantastic scenery however, the lake is looking well and full, with all sorts of willow trees flooded to give it a swampy, southern look in some of the coves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue_dingo View Post
    Hello,I'm heading out to Lake Folsom tomorrow morning and I was hoping to get some advice on how to fish it for trout. My plan was to put in early out of Rattlesnake Bar, and then troll north a bit before doing the bulk of our fishing to the south of the launch. I was going to try my standard set of trout lures, including rapalas, dodgers with nightcrawlers, and kastmasters. I won't be using downriggers or anything like that, so my fishing will be within the top 10' of water. Any other reccomendations as to what to use? Also, am I fishing for trout in the right area? Not looking for any secrets just looking for some solid general advice. I'll be sure to post my results tomorrow when I get back.
    Its my understanding that the salmon are hitting as well, its to bad that you cant get a little deeper and mix your limit up a little bit. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I was out at Folsom on Monday - caught 4 rainbows, all right at 15 inches. The fish were pretty much exactly at 19 feet throughout the lake. I caught everything before 8:30, so be on the water early. Top producer for me was an Uncle Larry spinner, behind a sling blade dodger.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! The website I was using for the Ramp info is here:

Folsom Lake Rentals, at Granite Bay, Folsom Lake

According to it, Rattlesnake Bar should be open, but the internet has been known to be wrong on occasion.

Post Thanks / Like

Troll around Dike 8, Folsom Dam and up to Granite Bay launch.

18-25 ft is the key!

Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Check to be sure rattlesnake Bar is open. Was up there 2 weeks ago and it was still closed. Rumors were, from rangers, they may keep it closed due to budget cuts this year. I cant help you on the fishing aspect because I've never had any luck there.

~RNP

Post Thanks / Like

Folsom Lake: Recomendations, tactics, and strategery

Hello,
    I'm heading out to Lake Folsom tomorrow morning and I was hoping to get some advice on how to fish it for trout. My plan was to put in early out of Rattlesnake Bar, and then troll north a bit before doing the bulk of our fishing to the south of the launch. I was going to try my standard set of trout lures, including rapalas, dodgers with nightcrawlers, and kastmasters. I won't be using downriggers or anything like that, so my fishing will be within the top 10' of water. Any other reccomendations as to what to use? Also, am I fishing for trout in the right area? Not looking for any secrets just looking for some solid general advice. I'll be sure to post my results tomorrow when I get back.
    Last edited by blue_dingo; 05-01-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: forgot to include information