Post Thanks / Like

Re: Avila Beach (San Luis Obispo Piers)

Quote Originally Posted by discobalz View Post
    hey guys,

I live in the bay and have dedicated the last few years to mostly delta bassin' and local lake trout.

However I used to go to college in Santa Barbara and used to Surf fish for perch as well as take my floattube in the harbor for inshore halis.. I am headed to a buddys beach house in Avila for the long weekend and I hear the pier is literally a rock throw from his front door.

I looked it up and there's a bait shop on the pier, anybody have any tips tricks or advice for me? What should I target, what bait/lures ? (I just wanna hook up w somethin) Any advice is much appreciated!!

P.S. I was also considering bringing my tube any thoughts?
    Hey Discobalz,

Please check avilabeachguide.com. By contact them, you can ask anything whatever you want to know about bait/lures or other Avila beach adventure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Avila Beach (San Luis Obispo Piers)

The Avila town pier should have corvina at the deep end. I would fish the bottom with small hooks and bait (squid is fine). You may get some keeper size, but consider trollying a small one out on a 3' leader for halibut, etc. Once the sun is out, there may be some schooling bait on top, in which case you can switch to a bobber/sabiki. There may be perch in the surf, too. About 2 weeks ago, there were whales hanging out all morning within a few hundred feet of the pier. There's also another pier to the north, but it's usually infested with sea lions. Pismo pier is nice, but it gets crowded & parking might be a pain. Maybe macks there.
    (note: I'm not local - just fish here every month or two, so this is just my 2 cents)

Post Thanks / Like

Avila Beach (San Luis Obispo Piers)

hey guys,

I live in the bay and have dedicated the last few years to mostly delta bassin' and local lake trout.

However I used to go to college in Santa Barbara and used to Surf fish for perch as well as take my floattube in the harbor for inshore halis.. I am headed to a buddys beach house in Avila for the long weekend and I hear the pier is literally a rock throw from his front door.

I looked it up and there's a bait shop on the pier, anybody have any tips tricks or advice for me? What should I target, what bait/lures ? (I just wanna hook up w somethin) Any advice is much appreciated!!

P.S. I was also considering bringing my tube any thoughts?