Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does GPS Work in the Fog?

It's the same with the pilots of aircraft too. The vertigo sets in and the brain keeps second guessing while the eyes see something else. Soon the brain decides to s#*tcan the instruments and go by gut instints. Pretty soon the brain is thinking it's flying level but actually the plane is in a deep unrecoverable dive into the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

This may just be me, or it may be pretty common, but twice i have had my head tell me we needed to go this way and the gps said to go that way. it is very hard for me to trust gps when my head is saying different. my buddy has told me" either trust it with your life, or throw it away.

Post Thanks / Like

The Delta is a real good place to get lost. Alot of boat skippers don't pay attention where they are going and pretty soon everything looks the same. There's so many islands and side sloughs that sometimes you think you're going the right way but your actually somewhere else. Add a couple drinks, a day of fun and a near empty gas tank into the equation and it's easy to get confused. Pretty soon you can't re-collect if you went left or right at that main intersection. Also the return trip may look different because you are coming back during evening or night time. Sometimes it helps to glance backwards and get a mental note at the surroundings and thats a plus when you are returning back thru the area. It takes time to become a true River Rat and be able to navigate by gut instincts. We have gotten lost a couple times and one time I had to go tie up and climb up the river bank in order to see around and get our bearings straight. Sometimes you can use a landmark (Mt Diablo) to use as a reference place during your excursions. Best is to get that map and study it beforehand so you can get those mental notes down before you hit the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_Sniffer
    Took me 45 minutes one time to get out of Sherman Lake into the Sacramento River after launching at the Sherman Island Launch Ramp back in the pre-GPS days. That was a massive pea soup fog.

That's when you needed Rudolph....it's still there too!! ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Took me 45 minutes one time to get out of Sherman Lake into the Sacramento River after launching at the Sherman Island Launch Ramp back in the pre-GPS days. That was a massive pea soup fog.

Post Thanks / Like

Me and my brother were on the delta fishing one day and the fog lifted so we headed over to franks tract. As soon as we got to fracks the fog settled in real thick again. For 3 hours we tried to find our way back and were just about out of gas when another boat came by with gps and we asked them where the boat launch was. We were right next to it and it took us 2 minutes to get there following him. The next time we went out we had gps and a good thing because the fog was back. No problem find ing our way back. Another time we went out of moss landing on a perfect morning got out and the fog just came in like a wall. Could not see the front of the boat. Gps got us back no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

quote......
    Fog is why I bought a GPS.

and it will work great in fog and get you where
    you want to go.....

its just that in the fog I see guys flying by with
    the confidence that I know where I'm going and
    I'm going to get there faster now......
    but its the other guys without GPS and radar that
    you have to watch for, cause a few beers makes
    up for allot of caution and common sense......lol

Post Thanks / Like

These GPS's are alot easier to work with than those old LORAN radios of the past. Since the availability of these cheap handheld GPS's, we quickly forgot all the 20th century navigational devices.

I remember when we use to triangulate our old sturgeon holes at San Pablo Bay using the Pumphouse, The Sisters and other visable landmarks.

It was all good then...till the fogbank moved in...

Post Thanks / Like

Fog is why I bought a gps. I got lost in the fog on Tomales Bay between Hog Island and Nick's Cove boat launch. I went back and forth for about 40 minutes trying to find the boat launch. This June 28 we went out of Bodega on an otherwise clear day. A pocket of fog came over us. The gps showed exactly where we were and where we had come from.

Post Thanks / Like

sure it does, but
    that doesn't mean you can go as fast as you want.....

in the fog without radar,
    you should go only as fast as you can see to stop
    or you can see safely, and that still doesn't mean
    the other guy is doing the same.....

get the picture.....
    [img]http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/op/rec/myimages/BoatCrash.JPG * *[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast