PDA

View Full Version : A convoy to the East Cape MX , anyone ?

DwayneCook
09-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Hi all ,
I have a 19' trailer boat and am thinking of planning a fishing and beach camping trip to the East Cape of Baja MX in October of 2007 to fish for all manner of game fish . Does anyone out there with their own rig want to tag along and turn it into a larger camp and fishing trip ? Who knows it could be the start of an annual get away for a bunch of friendly fisho's . Send me an E mail and we'll talk about when , where and how to go about this . I spent 10 years as a deckie on a marlin boat in Australia so I've caught a Marlin or two , but I live here ( Lake Tahoe area ) now and want to learn the East Cape fishery .

Cheers and tight lines ..... Dwayne Cook
dwaynecookphotos@msn.com
775 827 8241

vgreg
09-11-2006, 01:35 PM
I have been talking about doing that very thing. *How many days?

Last January, with the rain never letting up, I was ready to kill to get some sun and some fishing, so I went to Baja by myself. *I fly in to Loreto, rented an SUV, drove over the other side of the peninsula to Magdalena Bay, and fished for three days. *

Love rural Baja, it was my first time there. *Great people. *Off the beaten track, they seem expect you to know a little Spanish though. *The nerve of them! :D

DwayneCook
09-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Hi GunnelVision,
I was thinking of a 3 week trip leaving roughly the 3rd week of September and coming back mid October . I've been watching the reports and water temps and it seems the start of October is when the big blues come into the Cortez and follow the 400 fathom line . I like the idea of beach camping , beach launching the boat and just fishing when ever I like .
Try to get a copy of " The Baja Catch " by Neil kelly and Gene Kira , its a good book that will get you totally inspired . Its 900 miles from Tijuana down to La Paz , The area I was thinking of is about 40 to 50 miles south of there and is called Los Barriles . 40 or 50 miles doesn't make it too bad a run into town to get more beer etc . I'd drive from Tahoe to San Diego in one day , then cross into MX the next day and just drive as far as I could .
I'm fishing out of a 19' North River with a 140 Suzuki 4 stroke plus 15 kicker . At the moment I'm rigging it with out and downriggers . what rig are you fishing ?
Let me know what you think of this idea .
I'd like to hear from someone who knows the launch ramps down there . What are they like or should I be ready to beach launch with rollers .
Thanks ........... Dwayne

vgreg
09-12-2006, 09:25 AM
I don't know about towing my 22' C-Dory. I'd like to get input from others who towed a big boat down that hiway.

Fortunately, I havent' sold my 16' C-dory yet, so maybe I'll keep it until after the trip. I'd like to also maybe bring along a small cartop aluminum boat or inflatable, with my 6hp kicker, for launching from beaches with no ramp.

I'm gonna be thinking every day for the next year ::)
My wife is stoke too.

fishinlady
09-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Would love to go. My husband and I where just talking about it a day or 2 ago. Just got back from Puerto Vallarta looking for cow yellowfin. Was not to good as they were feeding on red crabs that were spawning on the surface.
My husband is from Australia, he has fished all his life on the GBR.
Our trailer boat is very heavy and could not launch off the beach. Any launch ramps close by? We would be game to go for sure! Debbie

timetofish
09-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Check out the "Outer Limits" boards. There's quite a few people who do the Baja road trip.

Hey Gunnel that 16' would be perfect for down there!! I just got my 16' Cruiser and you can just about launch it by hand!!!

DwayneCook
09-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Hi fishinlady , Hi GunnelVision ,
I'd say a good date to leave from San Diego would be the 21st of September and return round about the 15th of October . From what I've found out boat launching is by tractor over the sand . I would think that once the boat was in the water I'd just leave it in and use a pulley system to position the boat . You'd need an oversized anchor with at least 15 foot of heavy chain . You'd need enough jerry cans for gas to be able to refill your boat from the beach ( 6x 6 gallons in my case ) . Fishinlady , tell your hubby I grew up in Port Macquarie NSW and also spent some time at Forest Creek QLD which is just North of the Daintree River .
Let me know if you need to know any more regarding tackle and other stuff . Try to get that book and have a look at their packing list . The heaviest I'll be fishing is short stroker stand up 50lb tackle .

Regards .......... Dwayne

fishinlady
09-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi Dwayne,

Are you an ozzie or a yank? My hubby grew up in Biloela Qld, then to Toowoomba. We have a house in Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands.
Sounds like we could launch from the beach. What about diesel fuel for our truck? The thing that does worry me is it is hurricane season that time of year. I will get that book, sound helpful! Debbie

DwayneCook
09-15-2006, 05:09 AM
Hi Debbie ,
I'm a true blue Aussie , I spent 30 years there then moved here 10 years ago after meeting a lady . I'm not sure about diesel . There has got to be deisel in La Paz , just carry a few jerry cans . I just got word this morning that my house and land in Daintree QLD has sold so I no longer have anything back home .

Talk to you soon .

Cheers .... Dwayne

exocet
09-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Sounds like a fun trip. You can get diesel in Los Barriles. There is a great rv park hotel called Martins I highly recommend it. 11 bucks a night, the place is usually packed with American and Canadian fisherman and windsurfers. Here's a link with tons of good info on the Baja road trip http://www.iwindsurf.com/travel.iws?genID=24