PDA

View Full Version : Surf fishing at Doran on Sunday - need a clue

MikeD
08-30-2006, 03:01 PM
All

Long time freshwater bass and trout guy, trying surf fishing for the first time on Sunday at Doran and could use abit of help in a couple of areas - hell, I could use help in all areas...

Is there an online link somewhere that shows rigging? I've been told that pile worms on surf rigs are the way to go for a green first timer. 1.5oz weights? just cast em out, let them sit and then drag them back in as if I was drop shotting for freshwater bass?

picking up the cheap walmart special surf spin rod, planning on spooling it up with 20lb mono

I need every clue I can get so feel free to pile on or refer me in other directions - all help very appreciated. been trying to help myself with the search button here, so far some good info but looking for more.

Flipper266
08-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Mike,
Welcome to the boards...

If you can, climb on the jetty and fish off that if no love on the beach. Cut squid, chovies, cooked shrimp will get you something. Stay close in the rocks, the fish are literally at your feet.
Perch are in there at the number 38 and up marker. Might be closer but I havent got any closer than that.
There are eel in there also. Rockfish, lings and the occassional halibut( I havent got a halibut there but helped a guy land one there once).

Good luck!
Matt

MikeD
08-30-2006, 05:16 PM
thanks for the welcome Matt

20lb line now seems like overkill for that size of fish - would 8-10lb be a better line strength in the rocks?

any recommendation on rigging for working in the rocks on the jetty? assuming that snagging is common

mike22ca
08-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Mike, dont worry about it...anything that you catch won't be line shy. If you do happen to use 20lb you might be able to salvage some of your tackle that gets stuck in the rocks a lil better.

MikeD
08-30-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm used to the clear fresh water lakes up here in the motherlode area where line selection based on sky conditions is important. good to hear the salt water fish won't mind my heavy handed tatics

been digging around for the last few hours trying to learn quickly, those rockfish look sort of like largemouth bass - are they good fighters?

stripers out this time of year and within reach of the shore? have some huge rattletraps in green/yellow tiger colors that I got for a gift afew years back that I heard are supposed to be good for stripers

think I'm going to head over to the coast on saturday morning (4.5 hr drive, ughh) and do some camping at doran or nearby.

BASNFAN
08-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Hi Mike, :)
I have only been surf'n the last two years so consider myself a newbie. Like you I am a freshwater bass man. (note my handle). When we get to the coast, I concentrate on perch. I like a 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 ft rod, with any decent spinning real like you use for bass. Eight to 12 lb mono is fine. You can use pile worms, shrimp, squid strips for bait but I use 1 1/2 in. motor oil grubs or pieces of Berkeley Gulp Sandworms. Use a Carolina rig with a bead and barrell sinker 1/2 to 1 oz depending on how heavy the surf is. Just cast out and slowly real it in feeling for the bites. I hope to be trying the Fort Bragg area mid Sept.
Good luck.
BASNFAN

MikeD
09-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Basnfan, thanks for the rig info. I love throwing the gitzits and I'm sure I have some of the motor oil color floating around in a box somewhere. might take some of the big 3" boom boom tubes in the california color for fun too. every try those tora tubes?

ric1ric
09-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Hi Mike Just remember if you after rock fish thats not there name it where you find them in the rocks plan on loseing a lot of gear from shore. You might want to do a search on pole poking a very effective way to fish for them. Perch you can catch in the sand but rockies will be in the rocks.

MikeD
09-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Hi Mike Just remember if you after rock fish thats not there name it where you find them in the rocks

ah, <johnny carson> I did not know that </> what is the name for those fish? look abit like some sort of bizzare largemouth bass

good looking fish:
http://fishsniffer.com/cmyer/images/102403c.jpg

will dig in on "pole poking" - so much to learn, so little time to fish <sigh>

Big_Easy
09-01-2006, 10:28 AM
If you are going to buy a pole try the 12 foot Ugly stic. A little heavy but well worth the money and stick with the 20Lb mono.

Go give'm hell and post when you return with all those rockies/Lings and surf perch! ;)

Big_Easy
09-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Make sure you take a few sliding bobbers with you! This may turn out to be very interesting!!! :o

MikeD
09-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Make sure you take a few sliding bobbers with you! This may turn out to be very interesting!!! :o

saw an article on how to fish those, def. going to give them a go off the jetty. been advised to start at 6' and then adjust from there once you get the depth nailed

so whats the story on lipping these fish?? seen issues with bacteria transfers, large teeth, etc. what do I need to know?

Flipper266
09-01-2006, 01:53 PM
If its big, Lipp gripper........And if you get a small one throw it back out, let it swimm near the end of the rocks a bit and try to get a hitchhiker Ling....

Keep the weight as light as possible and you wont lose that many rigs. If a rokfish grabs it and digs into his hole dont cut the line, give it a few minutes, he might coma back out.

I used to allways bring a net there until I left it there a few weeks ago... :(
Nets are useful if you can climb out with one and all your other gear. I had a folding one I hung out my backpack..Hope whoever found it gives it some good use! :)

Good luck out there Mike.....Post up how you did when you get back!
Matt

ric1ric
09-01-2006, 02:04 PM
That could be a Vermillion or a canary be sure to take a chart vermillion good Canary very bad they look very close to each other.