PDA

View Full Version : Shadow cliffs help

ott8788
11-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Ok, I am having a heck of a time tapping into the shadow cliffs bite I see right before my eyes. I'm fishing from a kayak out with all the boaters and watching limits before my eyes with no luck on my end. HELP....

whats everyone's go to rig set up and bait?

Thanks for any help possible.

insearchoffish
11-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Dont know what you are using, or how you are using it, sometimes you can have the right bait but your presentation is wrong. I always go with a flasher and worm as my go to. You could always just ask them what they are catching them on, then go buy it. Thing with that is the next day they might not like it. LOL

Whats the water temp like there currently? Keep us posted on your trips, Shadow Cliffs is on my list to hit next month.

mitchellwilson23
11-12-2012, 07:11 PM
i was there sat and today. i was doing all the right things just like everybody else and both days were just very slow. i only caught one on sat and none today. my friend was there from 5:30- 11:30 and today didn't catch crap but neither did anybody else so i think maybe u just need to wait for the bite to pick up and just put in the time. Good luck

ott8788
11-12-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm running a 10# surf leader approx 2.5" long with a egg slip sinker to #6 eagle claw hooks... Then I thought that the surf leader could be seen so I went to slip sinker to main line to swivel to hook set probably 6" long.Tried a varied amount of power bait and kastmasters..Watching people catching offshore and on the bank but I'm not having much luck.Everyone is using powerbait from what they've told me but now I'm thinking the presentation is the issue..Any help is greatly appreciated Sent from my iPhone

RideNfish
11-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Way to heavy of line. Your main line doesn't matter that much (I use 4 lbs) but your leader should be no higher than 4 and maybe even 2 lbs. 4 is good enough though in those lakes. Vary the length of your leader. There might be a pretty good weed bed down there from the summer so maybe even try 4' or more. Also the water isn't cold enough yet but I'm sure you can catch something. Heck, even the sierra foothill lakes aren't cold enough.

I have never fished those lakes so am not an expert but light line, cold water, and leaders that get to the level of the fish are key. If you reel in your set up and there is moss on it then you know you need a long leader.

Good luck and please report how you do.

Cheers,

Prototype
11-13-2012, 10:50 AM
I was there with a couple cousins this past Saturday morning. from 7:30a to noon. I was using chartreuse and garlic scent powerbait. I ended up picking up my only catch on chartreuse.

Used a 6'6" ugly stik lite with 8lb test and a 18in 4lb test leader on a three way swivel, 1/4oz lead and a number 14 treble hook.

An angler next to me brought in two on green power worms.

Might be back out tomorrow with some power worms with a kastmaster to see how I fair.

blockbusterdave
11-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Me and my brother-in-law were there on sunday and trolled for a while with just one hook up. We decided to bait fish with power bait and nightcrawlers. Sat for a while in 30 feet of water with no results. Mover to 50 feet of water and within 5 minutes my brother-in-law had a nice 5 pounder in the boat. Next cast he had a 3 pounder. He caught them both on green glitter power bait. I also tried a slip bobber down about 20 feet and had several hits but could not hookup. We were straight out from the dock by the marina

blockbusterdave

redneckpunk
11-13-2012, 01:28 PM
blockbusters report confirms what RNf was saying about temps. The fish are still deep in the colder waters. Lighten up the line (I use 6lb main and leader), go deep, and hold on because there are some huge cats down there as well

~RNP

Tigerfox
11-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Go back a few days or so. There is a member that floats shadow cliffs. His name is TubeNoob. He has had success here and may be able to give you a few tips. Tight lines

ott8788
11-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Okay so went back out there again on Friday when it was raining. Four hookups all the way to the kayak and then boom...lost em all. Two lost on 1/4 kastmasters and two lost off treble hooks #12 with 18" leaders and 3/4 ounce egg sinkers.

So what am I doing wrong again guys?

RideNfish
11-19-2012, 07:47 AM

Probably nothing! Unless you are fighting the fish just totally wrong and I actually doubt that. Not horsing the fish in, keeping even firm tension on the line, not pointing the rod tip towards the fish, and not giving the fish slack is about it.

Four hook ups and getting them to the boat is the best part. The actual landing is the end result. I know you may want to take a fish or two home but I consider your day a success. Just look at the improvement over your last trip! You are on the right path and as the water cools it will get better and better.

Good Job!

insearchoffish
11-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Are your hooks good and sharp?

rambeez1
11-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Shadow Cliff trout can be fickle. The one change I made that made all the difference was changing my line from 10# to 6#. As soon as I finish this spool of 6# I am gonna go to 4#.