PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle or Shadow Cliffs ?

insearchoffish
11-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Want to try a new lake on monday, am nervous about water clarity after this storm. Are any of you familiar with how this rain will affect either of these lakes? I plan on trolling in the yak and have never fished any of these bay area lakes before so any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks Kevin

hybrid90
11-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Looks like Lake Del Valle is still productive according to their reports.. and if you don't catch any trout.. you can always switch to catching stripers or cats there.

Del Valle report: Del Valle Lake - , (http://www.sportfishingreport.com/lakes/CA/bayarea/delvallelake/index.php)

I've never caught anything big at Shadowcliff. I'm skunked 90% whenever I'm there. Lake Del Valle is the better bet if you're going to troll.

MVP
11-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Although I have not trout fished either of theses lakes in a while. I know that this time of year the trout fishing tends to be pretty good. I like to Del Valle because the lake tends to hold more fish (still check the plant chart) when you find em, your on em...Shadow Cliffs isn't a bad lake ...I was just more successful at Del Valle this time of year! (Still check the plant chart).

Good Luck

MVP

Troutoholic
11-29-2012, 04:47 PM
DV can have lots of debris on the water after a good storm with brown muck water. It is a big lake so if your in a boat you can manage to find some clarity, just something to think about. Tight lines - TO

KlamathJack
11-29-2012, 04:50 PM
They are planting 1,000 lbs at shadow cliffs this week and the water there stays clear even with rain. DV gets really murky esp in the south end. I have a buddy who fishes SC regularly and the bite has def been good

mitchellwilson23
11-29-2012, 05:01 PM
just like what klamathJack said the water doesn't get murkey because it was a gravel quarry so the water doesn't get all stirred up. my advice would either be the first dock or the shoreline to the right or left of it, those spots will give you the best shot. I fish there a lot and the bite is pretty good just go there early as possible i think they open at 7 and just fish PB or whatever

redneckpunk
11-29-2012, 05:02 PM
I grew up fishing both those lakes and as mentioned after a storm system like this DV is guaranteed to be murky if not chocolate milk. It will help somewhat, if rain fall predictions are correct, with bringing the water level up a bit but the bite is going to turn off for at least a few days if not longer. I personally prefer DV to SC but if monday is your day, I'd hit SC.

~RNP

insearchoffish
11-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Awesome info guys!! Thanks abunch looks like it will be SC. Ill let you know how I do, thats if the weather guessers are correct and give me a window of opportunity.

TheGreatBasshole
11-30-2012, 12:21 AM
I'm a little biased for shadow cliffs, due to the fact I have only been to Del Valle once and only caught one fish while Shadow Cliffs is on the contrare to me. I would go Shadow cliffs, park curfew is 7:00, but a EBMUD sign before the 1st dock says walk-ins before curfew are allowed. I try to get to the dock by 5, just to get the spot I want on the first dock. If you have questions about specifics or bait, shoot me a PM

jvle95
11-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Del Valle will most definitely be murky on monday in the south end after this rain. In a yak you can head toward the narrows and even further to get to cleaner water. Shadow Cliffs will stay much clearer as stated. I would imagine most people will go to SC because of the water clarity thing. In my opinion Del Valle is a much nicer place to fish. The surroundings are excellent, not like SC with the quarry and road noise. If you want a peaceful place to fish and yak Del Valle is it. No guarantees on catching fish though. Lot of wildlife around Del Valle plus the possibility of hooking up a striper at Del Valle is always enticing. Good luck and enjoy.

insearchoffish
11-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Just google earthed shadow cliffs and you guys were not kidding about the lack of scenery, starting to have 2nd thoughts. Though the chance of a double digit toad....

redneckpunk
11-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Just google earthed shadow cliffs and you guys were not kidding about the lack of scenery, starting to have 2nd thoughts. Though the chance of a double digit toad....

Oh, did we forget to mention its just an old rock quarry? LOL! The best scenery is summer time on the beach....I mean the back lakes/ponds. There are some nice bass in those ponds but cant take the yak in there.

~RNP

insearchoffish
12-01-2012, 10:04 AM
yea RNP it was mentioned but it didnt click in my head. I really appreciate the input you all gave and it will not go to waste, I will make it to both lakes hopefully before the end of winter but am now leaning towards Melones on monday and maybe tuesday but we'll see.