PDA

View Full Version : Size limit on rock fish

hqly2001
08-22-2006, 10:56 PM
i'm suprise that there is no size limit on rock fishes..
i thought dfg had size limits on the various rock fishes.. but guess not..

tattooed_angler
08-23-2006, 12:31 AM
naw but they do one certain species. But don't trust the regs for the pic of the cannary rock fish dosn't do no dilligence for the photos the dgf have. Theirs look more like the real Mac Coy. Trust me I know!!

StripeSideChaser
08-23-2006, 06:30 AM
i'm suprise that there is no size limit on rock fishes..
i thought dfg had size limits on the various rock fishes.. but guess not..

I believe the main reason is due to the low survival rate of fish brought up from more than 60 or 70 feet. Some people deflate the air bladder before releasing small rockfish, but that's proven just as deadly (since the bladder is ruptured and can no longer do its job). The fish simply sink and die instead of float and die.
Ling Cod don't have the air bladder and have a minimum length.

nelson9
08-23-2006, 08:56 AM
You say its proven that rockfish will die when deflated with a needle. Just curious where you got that information.

lakehopper
08-23-2006, 09:44 AM
In my opinion, to protect rockfish populations you shoud keep the first 10 fish you catch no matter what the size or variety. Then switch over to a single jigging bar for ling cod. I fish regularly and have seen hundreds of fish put back only to float on the water and become bird food. :-?

FatCat
08-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Here is an interesting little write up on deflating fish, albeit one focused on freshwater species.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/Fizzing.pdf#search=%22deflating%20rockfish%20bladd ers%22

My father-in-law catches fish for sushi restaurants and uses a hollow needle to deflate fish by carefully inserting it under the pectoral fin. This keeps them alive in his live well until he can get back to port and clean them properly.

One thing I have heard you should not do is puncture the bloated skin that often protrudes from the mouth of fish brought up from the deep. From what I was told, this is not their swim bladder but actually the esophagus and a punctured esophagus is no good at all.

tattooed_angler
08-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Thats a great article there Fatcat :) but after reading it only two salt water fish are mentioned and there was a "significant reduction in mortality of several marine fish".

Aparently done right and correctly "fizzing" has helped fish return to the water and there habitat. But after reading all the pages nothing in here speaks spicifically to rock cod in California only two species black sea bass and vermillion snapper are mentioned page 5. However though if I catch a vermillion it's going in the box regardless!

lastly I have seen many of fish after being fizzed immediatly take off and swim away.