PDA

View Full Version : Late Rpt, No Tuna but good Rock Fishing, Opah pic

cuhogn
08-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Sorry for the delayed report but have lost the internet connection until Wed at the house :(.

Friday around 5:30 pm Krazy and I headed down to the bay to meet Buoy 33 and Tyeroflies in Martinez and head over to HMB to chase Tuna. The weather forecast was good :) but the reports from the tuna grounds that day were not. :-/ *With the enthusiasm expected of diehards off we went hoping that Sat the bite would emerge and heading south toward warmer water below the “601” based on the last SST (Sea Surface Temperature reading) from Wed would lead us to the “bite”. We arrived at HMB around 10 and proceeded to get the boat and rods ready and finally hit the sack around 11:30.
Saturday morning we got up around 3am and were in the water and on our way by 4. The ride out was good with a small swell and little wind, as we arrived at *the area a little after 6 we dropped in the lines with 59 degree water and headed south only to see the temp start to drop, so we turned and then headed out toward the “Guide”. Did see some birds and a couple of seals but that was it until around 9 when we spotted multiple “fins” off the port side which quickly submerged so we were not able to Id but did circle the area a couple to see if anything would come up. Awhile later heading north a rods goes off and we think we finally found them only to find it was a piece of drifting kelp. After getting the jig in and unhooked off we go again and another rod goes off, dang hooked that piece of kelp [smiley=duh.gif]. I am reeling in the debris, just dead weight and I feel what seems to be a slight head shake so I pause and hold the rod and don’t feel anything else, so I hand the rod off to Krazy and he says there is nothing there and what I felt was one of the other lines. Now what is strange is that the line is not out the back but going down, and then Krazy stops and said it feels like a fish, so he proceeds to reel this thing in and we get it to the boat and see this large orange fish that is just sitting there. We’ll that was the end of that, that orange fish decided it wanted no part of the boat and off it went sounding multiple times [smiley=fencing.gif], after about 15 minutes we get it in the boat. Did not have a scale but figure it’s close to 80lbs and not sure what it was, we release it. Later we find out it is an Opah and is a delicacy.
After this we headed in and went after rocks and lings, we ended up keeping 17 rocks and 7 lings but caught numerous others.
Great trip with good company.

Here is a link about Opah if your interested . http://www.hawaii.gov/dbedt/seafood/opah.html

Krazy and Opah/Moon fish
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/uploads/2189/eric_and_moon_fish.jpg

Side shot (note Thickness of fish)
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/uploads/2189/moon_fish_sideview.jpg

Krazy Ling
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/uploads/2189/eric_ling.jpg

Alan
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/uploads/2189/alan_ling.jpg

fishhogg
08-21-2006, 11:59 AM
man u let the best one go!! Them opah are great on the bbq!! Oh well good report anyways!

cuhogn
08-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Didn't want any "issues" at the dock not being sure what it was, It was a great fight ;)
The gal doing the creel census didn't even know what it was when we showed her the pic, and she said she was a bioligist.

drstressor
08-21-2006, 12:04 PM
I can't believe you let an opah go! Catching one is supposed to be good luck. You're supposed to give the meat away to your friends.

You guys need to brush up on your fish ID and Polynesian folklore before you head offshore again. ::) 8-)

sunracer1957
08-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Great Story and nice pics to... Sorry the Albies didn't show :-/ maybe next time....

STURGEONSTOMPER
08-21-2006, 12:44 PM
WOW, that thing looks like it belongs in a cartoon next to spongebob or something :o

AllFishNoWork
08-21-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm no expert on Opahs, but I have seen one before and compared to the one I saw yours is big :o I had read the same about Opah being good eats and something about superstitions.

Nice job on the lings, thanks for the pics.

keciga1
08-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Man what luck, an Opah. Now you know next time you catch one. Thanks for the report.

bretmoua
08-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Wow, what a weird looking fish. An Opah huh.....hmmm...never heard of it an d never seen it before until now. Way cooooooool.

FatCat
08-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Wow, cool fish! Big, too. Looks like it is pretty tasty. Congrats!

jon_may
08-21-2006, 02:15 PM
yes, good eating fish!
an Opah is also known as "good luck fish" because they usually don't bite, but are snagged as they are sunning themselves on/near the surface, so you have to be lucky to catch them...that is a BIG one... usually seen in warm Pacific waters only, and yes, you are supposed to give some away, to "spread the luck"... cool catch, very rare around here, i wonder if it came in with the warmer water and then stayed around?!?

drstressor
08-21-2006, 02:30 PM
I sure hope that you didn't screw up your mojo with this one Krzy. ;) ;D

cuhogn
08-21-2006, 02:30 PM
they usually don't bite, but are snagged as they are sunning themselves on/near the surface,

The tuna clone was deep and coming to the surface when it hit, and it took the clone or we got real lucky and snagged it in it's mouth ;)

cuhogn
08-21-2006, 02:32 PM
I sure hope that you didn't screw up your mojo with this one Krzy

Doc
If we cut up a picture of it and pass it out at the Pyramid fest will that help. ;D

Pimpinmeat
08-21-2006, 02:32 PM
I have seen my share of Opahs from hanging around the docks but not one that was that big. Nice fish, to bad you guys didn't know what it was. I've never heard of one caught that far north before but then again I don't follow the salt reports north of me. By the way, IMHO, Opah is the best eating fish on the planet. I pay good money at seafood resturants when I see it on the menu, which is rare.

jon_may
08-21-2006, 02:39 PM
they usually don't bite, but are snagged as they are sunning themselves on/near the surface,

The tuna clone was deep and coming to the surface when it hit, and it took the clone or we got real lucky and snagged it in it's mouth ;)
hey, i ain't saying you snagged it... i said they "usually don't bite", still a great catch!

drstressor
08-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Opah bite lures and baits. They are taken by long liners. jon_M might be confusing them with ocean sunfish.

Sunfish, moonfish, it's easy to mix them up. ;D

cuhogn
08-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Jon
Understand, didn't take it that way, from what we read your statement seemed accurate, was wierd that it hit the clone and had not put that in the report and your post remined me of that.

AllFishNoWork
08-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Not knowing what it is, you did the best thing letting it go...but...kept or not kept, shared or not shared that is a cool catch. I think I remember reading somewhere they are kinda wanderers, the one I saw was caught off Ft Bragg.

I can imagine the "wtf" looks on your faces when it came up.

mike22ca
08-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Wow, thats an odd but totally cool catch! Looks like you guys had a good time though. Hopefully next time you'll get into the tuna.

Know_Excuses
08-21-2006, 04:38 PM
I think posting the pic here will cover the "sharing with your friends" Mojo.Nice job guys AWESOME catch!!!! I cant quit looking at that pic ;D

krzyfshrmn
08-21-2006, 05:55 PM
That was by far the neatest creature I've ever caught, and I'm pretty happy that it's still swimming around somewhere out in the big blue.

Everyone onboard deserves credit for that fish. Alan for grabbing the rod that I pointed out was "snagged on the kelp again", Ron for taking the rod off my hands and fighting the fish the last couple minutes before my lower back TOTALLY gave out, and Mike for getting the whole thing on video 8-) 8-)......can't wait to see it.

Great day on the water with another boatload of great people......Thanks guys, I won't forget that trip for a LONG time ;)

tattooed_angler
08-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Nice catch krazy :)

jon_may
08-22-2006, 07:00 AM
ya, i looked it up on the net, and apparently, the guys in hawaii (a couple of them) also don't know much about this fish, as they told me they were caught sunning themselves! i guess they don't catch many of 'em either!
good job!

vito
08-22-2006, 09:30 AM
That is an amazing story! My jaw is still hanging on the floor.

Mako
08-22-2006, 12:39 PM
I use to work on the Marauder out of Port San Luis and we caught several Opah. *The usually only bite bait.

However, they are awsome. *We use to cut a large cone shape piece right under the pectral fine out and eat it raw right there. *It will just melt on your tongue. *There is nothing better that you can catch including a Bluefin.

It's a rarity so you propbably have you your first and last chance at one.

krzyfshrmn
08-22-2006, 04:41 PM
As fun as it would be to actually target them and catch them on a regular basis, I figured the odds of ever catching another one are pretty slim.......I still can't get over that thing :o :o :o

phishenfool
08-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Yeah opahs are my personal favorite fish to eat. very sweet. I think they are also called moon fish. Congrats on the catch

ric1ric
08-23-2006, 05:09 PM
To cool Krzy nice fish what a thrill to pull something up that you have never even seen before.Congates on the catch that I quess you all made. There would be a cool fish for your wall.

Rusty_Hooks
08-23-2006, 05:19 PM
In the islands they call them "Butterfish"

For a good reason too. ;) [smiley=chowtime.gif]

I'll say no more......except...by far my favorite ;D ;D

post the video when you get it on the puter ;)

(he must have found another rock ::))