PDA

View Full Version : Farallon Islands Fishing trip - 08/19/06 - Pics!

Crevalle
08-21-2006, 05:29 PM
My wife and I, along with my parents, went out on the Salmon Queen this past Saturday. *Left Emeryville marina at 6am with eight or so other boats. *We headed to the Farallon Islands, which took quite a while (2.5hrs there, 3hrs returning). *

Once we arrived, we used pre-rigged red and white shrimp flies (two per line) with a 1lb weight. *I can tell you with all honestly, I am still amazed that fishing that constant existed anywhere. *Every single solitary time you'd drop your line down (30-90ft) you'd have two on--nice ones too. *I'd say 2lbs - 7lbs, there were some BIG ones. *It was almost funny--fish everywhere. *

Once we hit our limit (330) of rockfish, we started fishing for ling using a variety of bait. *My father hooked up with the first ling, and it ended up being the jackpot winner. *I hooked up with one a bit later, but not as large (special thanks to El Jefe Chingon for the tips on rig setups--which I used to catch the ling). *We both used 10"-12" mackerel, and let me tell you, once the mackerel were gone, so were the lings. *Rockfish (brown ones and those orange ones) didn't work as bait for some reason. *

Saw some big whales about 100 yards out, doing classic breach, blow, then tail slap performances. *Really cool for us Minnesota-natives. *Also saw seals swimming in groups alongside the boat, as well as dolphins. *

Just when I had put my large Kalin's root beer scampi in the water, it was time to head back. *Oh well, maybe next time. *It was a great trip, although my mother got seasick, so she would not agree! *Tangles were a pain, but that's life I guess. *We stayed on the starboard side, aft of the cabin. *It worked out well, because I didn't like being near the back of the boat as the fumes bothered me. *

Here is a picture of my wife's large rockfish coming to the surface--the captain said it was a Pochacio or something like that--I haven't looked it up yet. *It was pretty big--one of the bigger fish taken on the boat.
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1931/img1401sj2.jpg

Here is a picture of my first ling ever--I was pretty pumped! *Not huge, but fun nonetheless. *
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3145/img1409ap3.jpg

Here is a picture of my father's jackpot ($80) fish--a nice ling. *Not sure of the weight. *It was his first ling also.
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/2294/img1410gy4.jpg

keciga1
08-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Nice, glad you guys had fun at the islands. Over there you can catch fish with a bare hook, it's amazing. Thanks for the report and pictures.

CPTN_JACK
08-22-2006, 07:11 AM
great report,, Senic ride trough the gate,, whale watchin,,and the jackpot fish!! You gave the out of towners there moneys worth!! great family outing!! CJ [smiley=captjack.gif]

bretmoua
08-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Awesome report. I'm going out to the islands tomorrow. Hope I'll have the same luck as you did.

The_Hardwayz
08-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Great report! Nothing better than a fishing adventure on the open sea. Thanks for the report! Nice pics