PDA

View Full Version : Collins Lake 12-16-2012

mandoman70
12-17-2012, 08:55 PM
120921209112095Decided to hit Collins on Sunday since Amador was tough the day before. Brought my cousin-not-by-blood-in-law Robert along. First time for him at Collins and he is a newbie. I was sooo happy we decided on Collins. It is quickly becoming my new BFTL (Best Freakin Trout Lake!) Ha, I just made that up....

Well, the water has definitely come up since I was here last, which was on Black Friday. Water clarity was alot better than I thought it would be. Some areas had three, maybe four feet visibility.

So I decided we start at the swim beach, since it is the closest, and I really just wanted to check out the water clarity, wind factor, and any signs of fish activity. I don't fish this area since it is the community hole and is usually crowded, but we were the only ones on it this morning! It took about half an hour to get the first bite, but after that it was game on! We fished here from 7:30 to about 11:30 and caught at least 30 trout. Ok, so most here were DFG planters, but we did pluck a few of the private stockers as well. They were eatin PB on the bottom, power worms, and nightcrawlers under a bobber. These fish were extremely shallow. I mean like 10 feet off the bank and in 2 or 3 feet of water.

After the beach slowed down, just a little bit, we headed over the dam. We caught at least another 10 over here on the same stuff, and the size were a bit better as well as more of the private stockers. It was almost like bass fishing. These trout are on the the newly flooded flats, next to the bushes, and the little pockets all had fish.

This has been the best, consistent lake to catch trout for me this winter anyway. So if you can get out, I'd hit Collins. It is closer and a little less costly if you happen to live in the north Sac area.

Good luck to all!

Mandoman70

Bainter1212
12-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Nice! Looks like an awesome day of fishing! I don't hit Collins much cause it gets crowded in the summer, but looks like winter trout is the way to go. Thanks for the report!

FolsomFishing
12-18-2012, 03:34 AM
Awesome report and good looking trout. I caught my first bass at that lake so it definitely has a special place in my heart too

CAL.NDN
12-18-2012, 05:04 AM
Nice job guys. Ben wanting to hit up for a couple years now but for me its a lil bit a drive but 50 fosh days makes it look a lil closer. Since i see you fish the same techniques as i in the the winter. All would be good. Thanks for sharing.

Steve079
12-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Those are some healthy looking fish, you got your technique down for sure. Very nice!

RideNfish
12-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Good report and good job Mandoman! I may never fish there since it's a bit north of me but might have to try it sometime. I have so many good trout lakes around me but have heard many talk favorably about Collins. Thanks for sharing.

insearchoffish
12-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Nice report and pics!!!!!!!

:dankk2: for sharing

redneckpunk
12-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Great report! Collins was our go to lake last winter, even camping there on New Years Eve because the fishing was so good. Ok, it wasnt camping as we rented the small cabin but we did manage a couple 2.5lbers and largest fish was just over 4lbs. And unlike summertime, the winter crowds are small....or were until they all read this

~RNP