PDA

View Full Version : Spin reel maintenance

stefanoflo
12-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Looking at some season Maintenance on my spin reels.
any tips out there?? I was thinking about maybe cleaning the with wd40. ,I don`t want to break down everything to the bone , just a simple cleaning and maintenance on my reels
something that will help me down the road. I have a few reels at least 20 years old and like to keep them around a little longer as well.as well as a few from last season

Bainter1212
12-18-2012, 01:34 PM
WD40 is a great cleaner but a poor lubricant. Make sure you use some quality grease after cleaning.

Marv
12-18-2012, 01:47 PM
If it ain't broke then don't fix it. :) too much oil/grease is a bad thing. Unless you have crud you can see or feel in the reel I wouldn't mess with it. I usually take a q-tip and wipe out the sand/crud and reassemble the reel.

Jetspray
12-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Air duster cans are a must, saltaway or some other good cleaner, quality lubes and greases. Make sure you take care not to damage the drag discs (I usually take them off and clean them with denatured alcohol or some other approved cleaner). A good horse hair brush to getting the tough stuff. Anything that moves or rubs will need attention and lubrication. Check all gears and spooling mechanisims for wear and repair if needed:cool2:.......Jetspray

Mike's Reel Repair - Fishing Reel Parts & Service (http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/)

gfishes
12-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Check out, "fishing reel maintainance" on YouTube...there are some pretty informative tutorials there.....

TroutGhost
12-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Just a note about what happened to me last week. I tried cleaning and greasing/oiling one of my reels. Took off the bail and noticed that on the side opposite me was a spring but because it was out of my line of sight when I dissambled it I was unable to note how it fit inside the mechanism. Fiddled with it for a half hour then gave up.

Called the local bait shop and was referred to a guy who lives twenty minutes away. Called him up, spoke to his wife. He's an old retired guy who runs this business out of his garage, so to speak, servicing reels and fixing rod guides. He said winter is a good time to get it done because it takes longer in the spring due to demand. He said "everyone wants to get their reel serviced in the spring."

Jetspray
12-19-2012, 02:44 AM
TroutGhost, it's kinda like looking for driveway de-icer or wood for the fire on the first sign of snow......good luck pal on that one:shocked::smiley_crazy::nevezuha1bz::cold1:.... ....Jetspray