PDA

View Full Version : Melones w/ the Youn Guns (skinny version)

schatgun
01-04-2013, 04:11 PM
This is the skinny version only becasue the memory card in my camera went bonkers http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif and all the pics I took were lost, and there were some good ones too http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif

Garret had hit me up while ago about showing him around Melones & was happy to oblige. He asked if he could invite Mark & I said abosultely.....We met up at Tuttletown @ 0630 & were fishing by 0650. It was a brisk cool clear morning....however, we were dressed for the cold. Sun came up nice & bright & there was a cool low fog rising from the water's edge....I took some pics of the sunrise & rising fog but like I said before, my camera ate them internally

The guys asked me to show them some spots & some techniques I have found to be successful. I was glad to help out. When it comes to fishing these gentleman are wise & expereinced well beyond their ages.....Neither had ever used a sideplaner but after one demonstration they had it dialed down....Same went for Garret on the downrigger.

Didn't take long to get get our first fish which turned out to be a scrappy 2 lb spotted bass....seems to be the re-acurring theme for me up there...I think my last 4 or 5 trips the 1st fish to the boat was a bass....anyways we scraped up a decent amount of fish over the course of the day. The fish were scattered all over & no bait balls to be found. We runned & gunned quite a bit & I was able to show the fellas a few spots they can try out on thier next Melones adventure.

I think the Young Guns hooked 22 or 23 fish....kept 14 & they released 6 or 7 not including the bass. Mark was able to finnagle 2 trout casting a ghost jig from the bow while we trolled....Garret gave it a shot but no luck. Called it a day @ 1530.

We had most of our luck with blue/chrome Kastmaster (topline), broken-back rapalas (sideplaner & topline), Pin Minnow (sidplaner), watermelon apex (downrigger) & speedy shiner (downrigger). No particular spot was hot....again we moved a lot....picked up 2 fish here & 3 fish there....

I think Mark snapped a few pics...hopefully he can include them....I never realized how bland a report can be w/o pics.....SORRY http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Looking forward to hooking up the Young Guns again ....for sure...by the time these guys reach my age they are gonna be damn near master's of the art.....I hope they will let me tag along ....but by the time they do reach my age I'll probably be retired ....

I also gave Garrett a whole new appreciation for fresh air..

CRABBY
01-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Great post Jon,way to break in the young guns,they had a good teacher,hope they appreciate it!!!!Pics or not you always do good buddy!!!!.........Don

Marv
01-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Nice job fellas! Heck, I don't know how to use a planner or down rigger. We need to do a mini fest out there and do a meet and greet. I'm gonna have to hit Ride up and do a commando bank mission.

LURKER916
01-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Good report!
Mark and Garret can fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H-man
01-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Have fished with them young guns, I am amazed you got off the lake when you did, those boys fish hard and put in the hours!

Schatgun - mighty kind of you to take them out for a day of catching.