PDA

View Full Version : tomales sat 7-22

65whaler
07-22-2006, 06:57 PM
after motoring 40 miles or more friday, decided to take it easy saturday. mostly kidding around, i took my 5 year old son up to hog island this morning to try and scare up a shark or a ray for kicks. the bay has been dead all year so far and i had no hopes for catching anything other than bait. there were schools of anchovies everywhere north of hog island as big and thick as any you'd see in the ocean [probably too much competition for bait]. my boy jigged up some nice little live anchovies and we drifted them around north of the island for a while. tides were right for halibut, but me and little man didn't hook up.

however, we did see several other boats net some decent halibut, and for the first time since summer 2003 i saw a legitimate "fleet" north and south of hog, at pelican, and even a little flotilla of hunters down near my end south of heart's desire. between that and a sailing regatta from the inverness yatch club, tomales was a busy little bay today. was nice to see for a change.

fence_man
07-22-2006, 08:59 PM
fished south of hog got 12 leopard 42" to 52" 1 7 gill 4ft and 1 7 gill 7ft. and one good soupfin about 5 ft. whether was great !!

mike22ca
07-23-2006, 11:01 AM
fished south of hog got 12 leopard 42" to 52" *1 *7 gill *4ft * and 1 *7 gill *7ft. *and one good soupfin about 5 ft. *whether was great !!

Wow that sounds awesome, I'd like to do that! We were out this weekend for salmon and I guess someone got a nice thresher shark.