PDA

View Full Version : Beardsley Reservoir 2/28, 3/1

borntoscout
03-02-2013, 06:52 AM
My first fishing visit to Beardsley. Lots of trout surfacing near the "launch" when I arrived mid morning but I intended to try for larger brown trout, trolling from a Kayak. I snapped on a HJ-12 Rapala dark back with silver flash on a kokanee rod with 5 colors lead core. Marked lots of fish at 20 feet, let out 2-3 colors trolled along the 30 foot contour and caught fish after fish, with action about as fast as it gets. Most were 14 inch holdover rainbows but about 20% were browns averaging an inch or two larger. I suspect the browns were not wild but plants of a strain more easily caught. Did not catch a large brown but left with plenty of hooking casualties for the smoker. Many of the bows were lightly infested with copepods.

Marv
03-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Alight, can't beat that. No matter the size of the fish, steady action is fun. How was the road from 108?

borntoscout
03-02-2013, 08:25 AM
The road down from 108 was clear, having been recently plowed. Small trailer boats were launched, however the water level droped noticibly overnight so that could change? One fellow put on waders and checked the conditions, and left without launching. Tossing lures from shore should get some fish too.

RideNfish
03-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Good job!! Like your approach to chasing some browns. I can't believe the lack of snow since our winter started out healthy. Damn I wish it would get some serious rain/snow this month.

Now you got me thinking about running up there and trying from the bank. Any area you recommend for that?

Cheers,

borntoscout
03-02-2013, 11:14 AM
The area around the launch site offers the easy access and had fish surfacing within casting range. The steep southern shoreline between there and the dam had a lot of fish surfacing close to the rocks and would be no doubt be good but getting to the water there could be treacherous.

clb101
03-03-2013, 10:52 AM
BOY that brings back alot of memiores, i used to fish beardsley alot. great report, beardsley has always been a big producer of big brown trout. being able to access the lake this time of the year is a bonus. used to troll with gold hammered triple teasers but cant find them. also a good place to fish with bait, park at the day use area, east of the ramp and take a hike east along the shore till the sand meets the rocks, you may have to try a couple spots. great pics, it looks like a easy launch for my small boat. man i really want to go now....

borntoscout
03-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks clb. I did not catch a large one but did come away with a big one got away story. When fishing with lead core from a paddle yak you have to put the reel in free spool annd paddle like crazy to pull out the line and hope a fish does not hit and cause a back lash. with the fast action at Beardsley it happend multiple times but I was able to clear the rats nest; except for the last time. A ferocious hit buckled the rod and the lc hissed through the guides. By the time I could grab the rod the reel was locked up solid, the 8 lb. leader parted. Hate the thought that I left the big HJ rap in the jaw of a beautiful fish. Pulled in the line by hand and and home at the kitchen table resorted to use of a scissors...

mryosemite
03-03-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm betting there will be a Fish Sniffer convention at Beardsley next weekend. Anyone from FS that is there next weekend should wear and orange hunting cap so you guys can identify each other! I would like to point out that I tried to reach Beardsley a few weeks ago before it was "cool"....but the road was closed - lol.

clb101
03-03-2013, 01:32 PM
it just so happens i have a new orange hat...

RideNfish
03-03-2013, 01:54 PM
No orange hat for me. I will just keep yelling out "Here sniffer, sniffer, sniffer."

insearchoffish
03-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Glad to see you had an action filled trip!

SF21
03-06-2013, 06:01 PM
WHat day is the convention?

clb101
03-07-2013, 09:58 AM
SF21; looks like as soon as the new foot of snow melts which may be a couple weeks as the road i n and the ramp is on the shady side of the lake. keep an eye on the weather...